PHOTO FUN week of 3/17/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hey deano---i'm happy for you :D :D :D ---i know that feeling when you finally get something that you've been looking for and finally you've got one (in your case two)---i've seen this diesel in cnr colours and now i'm on a mission to get one for my roster as well---i'm adding a picture of a locomotive that doctor wayne custom painted in the Eg&e livery---seeing that you and your dad are cnw fans,you may notice the origin---regards,nutbar

2005083.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
cn nutbar said:
---i've seen this diesel in cnr colours and now i'm on a mission to get one for my roster as well---
:D nutbar, I TRULY HOPE YOU FIND ONE;), as I KNOW you too are an FM FAN!:D

nutbar, thats an AWESOME Northern!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: that isn't the engine Wayne is working on is it? in your most recent thread, i requested pics of an engine you have that Wayne mentioned he is working on. the engine i was talking about ALSO had Wayne's "home road" on it. i seen a pic of it only once, and for the life of me i cant remember what it was:eek:ops:. a Northern perhaps? could you please clue me in? THANKS! :D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi deano---this may be the mystery engine---however,doctor wayne alluded to another engine he is working on ---stay tuned

6309014.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
nutbar:wave:, this has really been a good chase:D. looking for info on that AWESOME mystery engine, has brought forth some GREAT PICS of MANY of your FANTASTIC engines i haven't seen before:thumb:. the engine in the middle of the last pic is NOT IT, but the detailing on it is STUPENDOUS!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: the engine i was talking about is black, and has EG-E on it;). but THANKS for the GREAT PIC!:D -Deano

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Man Deano, you're a lucky man! I had a good weekend as well. Got a SD70M for $31 on eBay, and a SP AC4400 on eBay (lol, though it was my LHS selling it!), I got that baby for $33, last I saw, they were $65 in the store.

Got two P2K DRGW PS-2 CD 4427 Cov. Hop.'s and at least one Athearn 62' tank car (hope to get 2 more from the same guy). Also two Walthers 65' LPG cars.

I'm working on a custom paint job right now, I'll post pics when I get done with the units.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Deano, nice aquisitions!

CN Nutbar, hope you find that FM for your collection. And just like Deano said, the detailing on that steamer in the last pic is very nice!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hey, Dean!! :wave: I notice that you're looking for an EG&E loco that's big and black, but Professor Nutbar has the only one that comes close, size-wise, anyway. Here are the only two other steam locos that are lettered EG&E: all of the others are smaller locos and the roadname is spelled out; Elora Gorge & Eastern.
2007-01-10395.jpg

100_5555.jpg

Hope this helps. :D :D

Wayne

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
I love all of these pics, nice work guys! I'd like to post pics too, but I can't resize them:cry: Still, It just makes you guys wonder at what I've done with my grain elevator (he he he!)!:D

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Doc,
I don't know which one is the mistery loco, but both of those are simply awesome...!!!

If I had my druthers, #501 takes my vote...!!! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne HAS SOLVED THE MYSTERY:eek:(THANKS! Wayne:D). the mystery engine was...#501!!!:thumb: OK, nutbar, as you know, #4100 is one of my favorite engines you have, but NOW after seeing ALL those AWESOME steamers you have, i am tore between 4 of them for the TOP engine you have i like:D. #4100, #501, #506, and #6400 are DEFIANTLY THE BEST steam engines YOU HAVE:thumb:...in my eyes anyways;). i will be looking forward to seeing MORE shots of these engines in the future:thumb:. THANKS! nutbar & Wayne for the ride:thumb::D.

jbaakko, WOW!, you REALLY DID get some AWESOME DEALS!:thumb: i cant wait to see some pics of the engine you are custom painting;):D.

Steven and MadHatter, THANKS!, for the VERY KIND words:D.

**On my side of the trackstooth1...you folks know i am BIG on sound, so of coarse my NEWEST project has been putting sound in my NEW FM H10-44's:thumb:. i tell you what, these engines are SO NOT made to DCC it isn't even funny:rolleyes:. don't get me wrong, i have DCC'ed harder engines then this;), but i have decided to do a tutorial putting a sound decoder in these engines:thumb:. "Hard wiring" a sound decoder in engines like these might seem like a daunting task to those NEW to installing decoders, but i am taking pics EVERY step of the way, and plan on explaining it so that after reading the tutorial, ANYONE could do a "hard wire" decoder install(and re-wire lights):thumb:. Normally a hard wire install would take me about an hour to do;), but i am ALSO detailing the shell on the one i am doing the tutorial on, so when i finish installing the sound decoder, and i put the shell back on, THE ENGINE WILL BE FINISHED:thumb:. i plan on putting the tutorial up mid next week in the DCC section of this forum;):D.

GREAT PICS FOLKS:thumb:, KEEP 'EM COMING!:D -Deano View attachment 35997

Attachments

• decoder install.JPG
    decoder install.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 103

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
For nutbar and Wayne:D, i know i have posted this pic before:eek:ops:, but after seeing nutbar's Northern type engines, i felt inspired to post MY UP F-E-F Class3 Northern:thumb:.

EDIT: Josh:wave:, your NEW avatar is FANTASTIC!!!:thumb: :D -Deano
UPF-E-FClass3Northern.JPG

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Renovo PRR
Nice looking scene!

Squidbait
Cool shot!

Deano
Nice pics of the Alco!

Steven
Great looking loco!

Gus
Cool proto photos!

Thoroughbred
Near shots!

Herc
Cool looking geep!

Chessie4155
Cool photo!

Joeho
Awesome picture!

Josh
Great photos!

CN Nutbar
Great looking loco!

Steve
Great layout shot!

Deano
Nice locos!

CN Nutbar
Those loco shots keep getting better!

Wayne
Great looking steamers!

Deano
Great steamer!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here the next set of cars I will be working on.

First is an MDC/Roundhouse Old Time Tank Car. This car was given to me by a friend. It needs new couplers, the brake chain trimmed and attached, and weathered.
Projects_2007_03_a_004a.jpg

This is an MDC/Roundhouse 50’ express reefer that when I got it was assembled. I need to change couplers, glue the roof, add some weight, and weather it.
Projects_2007_03_a_005a.jpg

The next two are Roundhouse RTR Milk cars. These cars are incredible. The detailing is great and the lettering superb! I will be weathering them.
Projects_2007_03_a_006a.jpg

Projects_2007_03_a_007a.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tom:wave:, GREAT looking NEW cars!:thumb: i am curious what time period the first 4 cars ran in? could you please fill me in? THANKS!:D -Deano

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
UP SD40-2 said:
Tom:wave:, GREAT looking NEW cars!:thumb: i am curious what time period the first 4 cars ran in? could you please fill me in? THANKS!:D -Deano

If I remember correctly, the tank car is part of the MDC old timers line and was a model of a tank car run in the 1870's or 80's. The frame is a bit thicker than the prototype, but otherwise it is close. The express reefer and milk cars were used in the 1920's and 30's, the same as the wood reefer. The trucks are different on the milk cars and the express reefer than the billboard reefer because the milk cars and express reefer would run on high speed passenger trains. The billboard reefer would have been seen on any freight train. In the case of the milk reefers, they would stop along the right of way and load cans of milk from local dairys and rush it to the milk processing plant for pasturizing and bottling. I think it would probably be picked up in the evening to get it to the milk plant in time for bottling and processing so the milkman could make a mid morning delivery in the city. Express reefers were put on passenger trains for extra revenue. Shippers would pay a premium to have high value perishables like strawberries and sea food delicacys shipped on the head end of passenger trains to rush them to the market that much quicker. By the way, the express reefer and the milk cars would have had steam lines installed to transfer steam from the steam generator in the locomotive back to the passenger cars for heat and air conditioning. I'm not sure how the passenger cars were lighted in the steam era. The railroad could not just put any reefer on the head end of a passenger train to make it an express reefer because the standard reefers would have lacked the steam lines needed to operate the passenger cars behind.

Nice models, Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.