Photo Fun Week of 06/09/07

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by doctorwayne, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travellar

Travellar Member

I don't like the appearance of the X's, but for that very reason I say keep them. Unless you're a high end passenger run, trains aren't really meant to be pretty. (Those locos most of all!)

Of course, when the IC expieremented with electro-optical sensors and painted barcodes, they soon began to learn that it didn't work so well. It seems dirt and normal weathering give reflective markings a rather short useful life on the railroad. So if you really don't like them, I say paint out about half of them.

And I'm afraid I couldn't get an action shot of my switcher for you. After a long day of work, I had to put her in for some additional coal.
    (hmm... still gotta do the chutes to coal on my mainline...)
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Travellar:wav: , THANK YOU for your input and "vote" on the X's:thumb: .
    could you please tell us about your coaling tower:winki: .
  3. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

I love that 0-8-0 Steve, what colors do you weather your steam engines with? Deano, nice detail on that loco :thumb:, I've always had trouble with snow plows and sand pipes.
  4. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Deano...thank you!:winker::thumb:
    Kanawha...thank you...........I used cheapo craft store acrylic. for the engine itself, I used a dark gray and mixed in black to make it an extremely dark (almost black) gray. For the road dirt I used "Crafter's Edition" camel (Brown). I used "camel" because that is the primary color of the "rocks" on the layout. All were applied with a airbrush in as fine a mist as I could. I wanted some original color to come through, especially on the front of the engine. I had to re-letter this engine and in the process of removing the original markings, I ruined the paint job:oops:otherwise I probably never would have had the guts to try it was a blessing in disguise:mrgreen: that Mikado!!!!

Here it is before the re-letter and weathering:

Attached Files:

5. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello everyone---thanks for posting all the great pictures so far---i couldn't resist posting yet another switcher shot (hope you don't mind)---here's cn 0-18-a #7456

deano---i like Doctor Wayne's idea---i'm still not sure about the "x"s,but they do add a special prototypical touch to an already great looking locomotive
  6. Travellar

Travellar Member

sure, but I'm putting it in the N/Z scale forum, cause I seem to have deleted all of the 'work in progress' pictures.
  7. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Deano- Thanks for the super-detailing tips!:thumb: I might use the prototype info later when I'm gutsy enough to try it (my RS-32 #4242 was a display unit, and the hobby shop didn't put the front/back handrails on, so I had one :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse: of a time putting them on 'cause I suck at small detail aplying, so N scalers, be thankfull I'm not ruining N scale loco's:mrgreen:sign1). BTW Deano, do you know where the RS-32's numbered 4240 -4240 for the CNW first came from? I think It's really interesting. Plus, I think go for the white X's, they look cool to me:thumb:

:inw:I hail everyone's pictures because they are so fantastic! :inw:

Also: :needpics:

P.S. Just found this on the web! Talk about chance!

RailPictures.Net Photo » Chicago & North Western Railroad Alco RS-32
  8. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Great pics everyone! Fantastic shots this week..Keep em comin..
    I forgot I had this, I put it up cause it doesn't run anymore...
    B&O SW1
  9. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Horses in the sun

A long line of Norfolk Southern diesels sitting idle behind the factory waiting for a clear track. An SD70 leads an SD60M, GP38 high hood, GP38 low hood, and GP50.

Attached Files:

10. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

Deano- my first impression with the X's was to scratch 'em, but the more we discuss them they are starting to grow on me. If you were to tone them down a bit, then I say they should stay.

Keeping with the unofficial theme of the week, here is my attempt at a TR5. I am not quite finished yet as there are a few more things I would like to do with this unit.

Attached Files:

• TR5.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
  11. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I'd like to see another picture of it on the bridge it's about to cross! Actually, the more I look at those rails, that's a switch isn't it?
  12. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

TrainNut- that is the switch to a spur that is behind the locomotive, but here is a picture of it crossing a bridge.

Attached Files:

13. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

No picture to post for me. :oops: But I will weigh in on the "X" vs "no X" dilemna. I say yes to the X. If you are worried about people that see your layout not knowing what the X's are for, then just find the best real life picture of that loco with the X's on it, print it out on nice photo paper, frame it, and hang it by the layout. :thumb:
  14. brakie

brakie Active Member

15. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

It has been a crazy weekend and week so far. I am finally catching up.

Great looking steamer!

What a cool looking loco!

What great set of shots!

Neat layout photos!

Great looking scenery and caboose!

Nice switchers!

Nice loco!

Nice B&O switcher!

More great locos!

Great looking switcher!

Great train!

CN Nutbar
    Sweet looking unit!

Another great set of shots!

Nice shot!

Cool looking loco!

Nice looking loco!

Neat switcher!

Great looking steamer!

Great shot on the bridge!

Another cool loco!

Neat structure!

CN Nutbar
    Great steamer!

Cool switcher and boxcar!

Nice train!

Sweet shot!

Neat videos!
  16. TomPM

Since I am not one to buck a trend!

IHC 0-8-0 Lehigh & New England Switcher custom renumbered

Accurail Lehigh & New England Outside Truss Wood Boxcar

Accurail Reading Outside Truss Wood Boxcar

Accurail Rutland Outside Truss Wood Boxcar, custom painted and lettered with dry transfers
  17. TomPM

Athearn New Haven 40’ Wood Boxcar custom painted and lettered with dry transfers

Athearn Southern 40’ Wood Boxcar

MDC/Roundhouse Lehigh & New England NE Caboose, custom painted and decaled
  18. Boilerman

Boilerman Member

These are all great lookers.
  19. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

nutbar, another AWESOME steamer!:thumb:

Travellar, i read your thread on the coaling tower, VERY interesting:thumb:

CNWman, Please tell the history of CNW #4240, i don't know it, but i think it would be neat to know:thumb:

Mark, GREAT looking B&O switcher:thumb:

Herc, NICE string of EMD power!:thumb:

Freelancer, WOW!:eeki: NICE UP switcher!!!:thumb: FANTASTIC WORK!:thumb::thumb:

Larry, COOL VIDS!:thumb: smooth runners:winki: .

Tom, GREAT ROLL-BY!:thumb: OUTSTANDING JOB on the weathering:bravo:

A SPECIAL THANKS!, to nutbar, Freelancer, and Mike for voicing your "votes" on the fate of the X's on MY Milwaukee Road FM H10-44:thumb: THANKS GUYS!:thumb: :mrgreen: so far its looking like the majority says YES!, KEEP THE X's:eeki: :winki: :mrgreen: Friday night will be the LAST night to voice your opinion, so come on folks, let me know what you think:winki: . THANK YOU!
    :deano: -Deano
  20. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Deano....X's..?? What X's...?? We don't need no stinkin' X's...Just kiddin'... I say KEEP 'EM. I think they look good, and they're protypical. Just a little weathering so they don't look freshly painted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.