Photo challenge for Leap Month, Feb. 08

Discussion in 'Current Contests' started by ezdays, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

We haven’t had any photo contests, competitions or challenges (call them what you feel more comfortable with) for a while now, so let’s see if we can garner any interest in one. This being a leap year, we have a leap day in February, so let’s go with that leap theme. Now I know that some of you might just want to tell me to take a flying leap,:shock: but my thought is that we should take a leap into the future. How about holding a photo challenge where we post one of our photos showing something futuristic? That should open a wide choice of things if we think about it.

For example, even though the Zephyr was first introduced in the early 30’s, it was futuristic in its style and still is. The monorail is a bit old, but still futuristic as are some of the trains in Europe and Japan. We may find a super-modern rail terminal, or even a modern building or other structure that resides on your layout. How about entering a shot of one of those?

The guidelines (no rules here, just something to keep some order to this):
    • Submit a picture of something modern, futuristic, super-stylish or even way-out outlandish or imaginary. It can be a loco, a train, a building, a structure or any other thingy that might fit the bill. It can be from a layout, a diorama or even real life stuff.
    • It can be an old picture or a new one, just one that was taken by you.
    • As usual, post your pictures in this thread.
    • One picture per person.
    • This challenge will start February 1, and run all through February and end on midnight, leap day, at which time we will check to see whose pictures that we like more than the others by opening up a voting poll.
    • We will open the voting poll when we leap into March (or for those who aren't aware, on March 1st), and we'll keep it open for two weeks.
    • The one that gets the most votes will not get a prize,:nope: but, leaping lizards, we will see if we can’t get that picture on the cover of the next Gauge eMag plus put it up as the “picture of the week” on the Gauge portal.:thumb: (Now as you might know, that could extend to several weeks depending on how much attention Mikey or myself give to changing it.):rolleyes:
    Good luck to all, let's leap right into this.:wave: :wave:
  2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

That sounds great, I am already planning, but what, I dont know, but I have an extra day to think about it!:mrgreen: Cant wait to see what others come up with, especially those of you "stuck in the steam era".:mrgreen:​
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

oh but those stuck in the steam era could do a diesel engine and they would be in the future in there mind.:mrgreen:
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

One needs to take a leap of faith when deciding what to do.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

So do the voters :) It might turn out to be a prospective view idea... :D :D
  6. nachoman

nachoman Guest

7. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I cant think of anything other than the word interesting to describe that. ​

When it stops mid air at the end, that is just toooooooo funny. Whoda thought that is something youd ever see, even if in minuature, a jumping train? But with a name like Super Turbo Train, it has to be pretty cool!sign1​

For my photo, Im thinking of a photo of how I wish the future would be. ​

8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Back to the Future III
    In O gauge
  10. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

sign1 is that something you run reguarly on the museum layout?:mrgreen:
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Well... Tom's pick is a LEAP ahead of all others..!!!:eek:

Good job..!! :thumb:
  12. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Fantastic Tom! :)
  13. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

We have a good start here, but let's see how many other brave souls are willing to take the leap...
  14. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I now know what my entry will be, I just need to get a loco painted and decaled, so I will be scrambling to finish, assuming I can get the loco ready. otherwise, the effect of the photo will not be real strong. Remember the statement I made earlier about you 'steamguys"? That question can be taken as a hint for what will be to come, I just hope I can set up a decent shot. ​
  15. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

They're baaaaakkkk..... Yep, those LGM (little green men) are back at their landing site next to an abandon rail siding. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Notice the ones leaping away from the ship that just landing and those that have leaped upon that old caboose. We also need to be witness to the ship leaping out of the underground bunker about to head back to the mother ship.

Attached Files:

16. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I think Spankybird has already won!
    In late elementary school, I modified a small car with N-scale wheels and I'd push it around my n-scale layout. I think I also did the same think, a few times, with my Mantua 4-6-0.

Perhaps a 4-8-4 pulling my John Bull cars?
  17. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Leaping lizards! Don's leapt lightyears and brought back the UFO's. I wondered what those streaks of light were the other night in the sky above Phoenix!
  18. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

In 1870, a little Japanese man was digging near Sutter's mill in Coloma, CA for whatever gold remnants were left after the great gold rush of '49.
    Finally becoming frusturated with that (as he'd only found $3.50 worth), he lay down to get some Z's. While sleeping, he dream't of a grand new horseless carriage design. He immediately got started and upon finishing, presented four shiny new examples to the people of Coloma. He named them simply, 350Z. The people deemed them the ugliest monstrosities they had ever seen. Mr. Nissan was heartbroken and shipped them out of town on the first available train. They were eventually dumped over the side of an embankment for erosion control. Still, he kept the ideas he had sketched and passed them on to his children. Perhaps something would come of the idea someday!

19. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great Pic & Story :D :D
  20. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

or any other thingy that might fit the bill.

OK, a couple of "future any other thingys"...........I'll send the "bill" later :mrgreen:
    These are both 1/48 scale, and are bashed from six aircraft kits.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.