Phot-etch pliers

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Mark_1984, May 14, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I got a pair of photo-etch pliers a few months ago. I actually got them for workign with photo-etch parts but they are also great for card. Being very well made and having smooth jaws they are great for card. I use them both for bending small parts, small tabs, etc, and also for clamping small, or difficult to get to parts toghter while the glue dries.

I found them in a model shop in Beijing, of all places, never seen them before or since, but I've just seen somebody selling them on Ebay.

The seller is Hong Kong based. I've brought stuff from him before without problems.
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Intersting! I see more and more plastic model shops in Shanghai -- die cast miniature shops, too. Maybe I will have to start checking out some of those model shops for tools.

Thanks for the tip!
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Could you send me the names/addresses of any model shops in Shanghai. I get there quite often and would love to visit any good model shops. They are few and far between in Korea, at least in the Mokpo area !!
  4. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Hey Mark 1984!

I'm sorry, I'm afraid can't really furnish you with any good recommendations because the kind of store I am talking about is usually a little shop, typically in a neighborhood shopping center or subway station, maybe five by five meters. Sometimes I see somewhat largers ones, they often sell plastic military models along with Japanese-style action figures (very big in China, as I'm sure they are in S Korea). These are not large, specialized hobby stores, just "small-potato" neighborhood operations like the kind you see all over Asia (selling everything from building supplies to cigarettes). These kinds of shops tend to come and go very quickly.

In fact, the largest collections of models I have seen in Shanghai are in the toy sections of department stores like Carrefour, and at major malls. The largest concentration of serious toy stores I have come across is in the Grand Gateway/Metro Mall complex in XuJiaHui.

I get most of my modeling supplies on Fuzhou Street not far from The Bund. There is a section of that street with lots of art supply stores and shops. That's where I typically buy things like cardstock, paints, cutting mats, etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, if I come across a good store or supplier, I'll let you know. :)
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

If you live in the USA, before you order expensive pliers for photetched brass, check your nearby hardware stores, Tractor Supply store, lumber yards, etc. for the racks of "cheap" tools and the racks you can't walk by on the way in and out. I have a great pair of duckbilled pliers --- smooth jawed square-nosed, and flush closing--- and a pair of smooth jawed, straight 3 1/2" long flush closing long nosed pliers. Neither cost over $7.00.

6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Great suggestion, Bob!

I also found a pair of smooth-jawed, square-nosed pliers - an outstanding crimping tool! - here in Shanghia at B&Q, a British DIY "bigbox" store (rather like the American Home Depot). I also found a great pair of smooth-jawed needle nose pliers that have a 90 degree angle in the jaws. I forget the exact prices, but both were very affordable ( < US$10).

I strongly agree that you can find tools suitable for card modeling in many places, if you look and use a little imagination. This is one of the great benefits of card modeling, as pastime in which pricey "exotic" gear for hard-core hobbyists might be a $10 hole puncher. :)

My most-used tools:
    - knife (inexpensive, break-off tip type)
    - four common metal straight edges (2 x 12", 2 x 6")
    - an awl (for scoring and other tasks)
    - a glass ashtray

I think the total cost for those would be about ten US dollars!

The glass ashtray is my favorite. It is perfectly suited to creasing long, narrow folds in heavy card (very typical of my builds). The size, diameter, hardness, and transparency combine to make the perfect creasing tool. How many hobbies have "perfect tools" that cost 89 cents? :)
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks Art Decko, I'll make a trip to Fuzhou street next time I'm there.
  8. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Carl: You gotta love Micro Mark!!