Phoenix Still Rising Slowly

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by cecil_severs, Sep 30, 2004.

1. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

I've posted a few more pics of this build in my personal gallery:

I had almost too much fun sanding and shaping the cowl to look like something resembling the real thing. I took a lot of hints and inspiration from this forum while making the attempt :lol: .

To view the photos in their proper chronological order they must be resorted by time as "ascending" rather than "descending" :? .

Next up rigging. Shouldn't be to much trouble and then windshields and it's done. A bit late for last month's ASM meeting but hey it'll get done. :p

2. dhanners

dhanners Member

Great-looking build so far. I always loved that movie....
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Cecil:

She's looking very good! :D

The movie was one of my favorites as I was growing up, the idea of taking a damaged plane and building a new one that works, was fasinating to me...later I appreciated the interaction between the characters more, but the initial love of the plane remained the same.

Your model does great justice to that plane and I look forward to further updates as you get into the rigging, etc. :D

Thanks for posting the photos!!

4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Looking good! Always wished I'd come across that movie. Looking for it in the local DVD shop.

Best, Leif
  5. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

The original classic movie does show up occasionally on AMC. The remake is currently scheduled for a December release.

I managed to catch a nice still of the new "Phoenix" from the trailer. Don't suppose I should post it here though. It bears a passing resemblance to the Talmantz P1. Overall the remake looks promising though with the usual added cgi stuff, stuff blowing up and requisite eye-candy that were'nt in the original.

Another movie slated for December release called The Aviator a Howard Hughes bio could produce some interesting related models.

I may just have to build that old Meta Model H1 that's on the shelf.

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

The original Flight of the Phoenix is a real favourite film of mine. Why on earth does Hollywood bother with re-makes? Name me ONE remake that was better than the original!!! JUST ONE!!!

Sky Captain looks a hoot, though......

Pip pip,

Tim P

Edit: Cecil, I just looked at the clip on the link you gave, and I have to say, It doesn't look half bad! I'll certainly go and see it when it arrives over here in the UK.

PS That model looks great, by the way!
  7. jrts

jrts Active Member

No matter how meany times I see this film I still sit on the edge of the chair when it comes to the bit when they fire her up, the cartridges in to the coughman starter (spelt that wrong but you know what I mean)

spot on the answer is none

One of the classics watch it every time :D