Phoenix group is growing!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Today, 5 of us Gaugers (or is that Zealotters now?) started the morning off at the "Beat The Heat" swap meet. Pretty good turnout... not much N stuff as usual. After that, we followed up with a visit to my house to see my layout (and all it's problems) in action. It never fails that everything works great and then when you invite people over to check it out, Murphy comes too! Ezdays, you were right... I got that consist problem worked out about two minutes after you guys left. Both loco's respond as they should. I think I still have a lot to learn about DCC. Rumor has it that the next one will be at Woodone's place of rails and after that, I think we're gonna tie down Combat and make him give us a tour of his battlefield! As before, the conversation was enlightening and I learned a thing or two... 'bout trains and a little more 'bout a couple of my fellow Gaugers. It's funny, I had this whole agenda thing planned out in my head about how things would go and that went out the window in the first five minutes. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on some problem areas I've got but never got around to it 'cept for a couple seconds right towards the end. Ezdays, you said before you wanted to see my high speed passengers in action... whad'ya think? I love feedback so feel free to elaborate on anything you might think of. Well anyways, from left to right in the second picture, you've got Ezdays, TrainNut, COMBAT and Woodone. We did not stand from shortest to tallest on purpose, it just worked out that way!!! Yes, I did say there were 5 of us. COMBAT's significant other was standing just out of frame left.

Attachments

• DCP_5490 low res.jpg
    DCP_5490 low res.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4
  • DCP_5492 low res.jpg
    DCP_5492 low res.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey, I use to be proud of how tall I used to be.:???: Sheesh, growing old is not for the meek, lost six inches in the process, that's what I did.:eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

I've got to say, that's an impressive layout, especially considering the short amount of time that TrainNut has been working on it. All the trackwork is working as it should, you can creep or run high speed trains without a hitch and I only wish my tracks were in that good shape.
The bullet train, what can I say, a beautiful thing to see. It's an inspiration to get me off my duff and back to work on my layout, that's what I saw today. Yep, we had a good get-together and I'm looking forward to the next one.

As far as the show, well, seems like Combat did pretty good, I bought a few more kits at a good price and TrainNut and Woodone, well, they must have enough stuff already.:mrgreen: I was surprised though to see so much N scale stuff there today. Lots of people selling and lots of buyers. I actually thought it was way too crowded, some of the isles were so narrow you couldn't stop to look for fear of getting crunched...:cry:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Sheesh,and I was worried about the paunch I was getting,Lol!

Just kidding of course.I wish I wasn't so far away,that looks like fun.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I want to say thanks for having us over and it was nice to sit with you all and chat. Not being an N scaler myself I love looking at it and seeing how the other half live. :)

The bullet trains were great and I am really happy I got to see your set up in person. Pictures never do anyone or anything justice. If you have been to the Grand Canyon you know what I mean.

I did get some great stuff like this:
Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 243-401
30566292720628.gif

Walthers wants $54.98, I paid $15.00 and yes it is complete. :) I got some other things too like some kits and such.

I look forward to seeing you all again at the next meet.

Mr. & Mrs C

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of Phoenix and Area ...

I will be in the area in a few weeks - what are the local opinions of the best hobby shop in the area (I have seen the "An Affair with Trains" website), as well as the Gadsden-Pacific museum down in Tucson (I will be in Tucson on the one day it is open in May, it seems) ???

Thanks!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Personally, I like The Freight Yard. That's probably 'cause it's closest to me and they have a healthy N gauge selection. If you go here, check out my coffee table layout along the back wall!

1. thefreightyard.com
2734 West Bell Road, Suite 1308
Phoenix, AZ 85053

You've already mentioned
2. An Affair.... so next up would be two different stores by the same owner...

3. Roy's Train World
1033 S. Country Club Drive
Mesa, AZ 85210

4. Roy's Train World at the Park
7337 E. Indian Bend Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85250

Don't go to #3 if your allergic to cats. #4 however is within the boundaries of McCormick Railroad Park... and no cats.
McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park
Within the park, you will find operating layouts in N, HO, G and the 5/12 gauge that you can ride on.

Did I catch 'em all guys? There may be others but those are the good ones that I know of.
EDIT: Sorry for the double picture. I can't seem to get a decent picture by hosting it on this site so had to host it elsewhere. Now, I can't figure out how to get rid of my attached thumbnail (the smaller one). Also, by making the picture as big as I have now, I have screwed up the text for the entire thread. I give up.
phx_map_02.jpg

Attachments

• phx map.jpg
    phx map.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
That's why we needed your wife in their to enhance our curb appeal but she wasn't having nothin' to do with that!