Phila, PA Yard Pics

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by N Gauger, Oct 26, 2003.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Hi, I went train hunting. And "caught" some just sitting there waiting to be photographed. :)

Yes we checked with the Forman & he was gracious to let us take some pics "As long as we didn't go across the tracks" :) :) :)

These pics are large files. I wanted to show as much detail as I could.

All pics were taken with a Sony Mavica CD-400 ASA 200 (Night Setting) for about 2 seconds, using a tripod.

Please --- All pics are (C) 2003 N Gauger..... You can use them, just e-mail me before you do. Thanks!!!!!

Amtrak Engine 823

Amtrak Diesel

Front view of Amtrak Diesel

Metroliner going by Philadelphia skyline

NJ transit sitting next to Amtrak Engine

Close up of NJT Electric

A view of the "High Line" through Phila

The Phila. Skyline
  2. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

3. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Nice photos!
  4. N Gauger

Thanks guys!!! :)
  5. Blake

Blake Member

Excellent!!! I could smell the diesel fumes!!
  6. N Gauger

Thnaks! It was my first time taking train pics at night! - We smelled the diesel fumes too :)
  7. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Nice pictures Mickey. l I envy anybody that can take night pictures. I tried a couple of times and got nothing but black so quit.
  8. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Mikey, those night shots are great! It is always amazing, how the colors turn out quite different from what we THINK to see - e.g. the bright orange flank of this Amtrak Geep.

Years back I made lots of night shots of railroads, especially in rainy and snowy nights. Unfortunately they are all on slides, and I can't copy them into a form which makes sense on the internet. Nowadays I became a bit too lazy to go out in cold and wet nights for hunting trains. But as long as you are young, the results are worth the effort. Your pics are the proof for that!

9. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Great photos.

I haven't done much night photography, but these make me think maybe I oughta try; but I'll bet it'd take me a while to get as good as those.
  10. N Gauger

Thanks guys!! :)

Dave: It's not that difficult - otherwise I wouldn't do it. LOL

I just set the camera at 2 seconds at the largest f stop (about 2) and then bracketed the shots...... 1 second & then 3 seconds.

I took 36 pics & ended up with 20 good ones. The real reason is the "fun & adventure" of actually doing it. :D :D :D
  11. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Those are some really awesome photo's you took!!!!
  12. N Gauger

Thanks! and you above all should agree that: "I wish these were 4-6-0's and 2-4-0's etc." :( :( :(

But These "newer power units" are great too, in ther own way. :)
  13. Chessie6459

I do agree with you. It would be nice to see the old steam engines. I was born too late to see them run. The newer power is nice too. I do like some of the new power that is out. Did you check out my website? The Independent Live Steamers?
  14. N Gauger

Yep!! Looks great!!! I like the M1 :) :)
  15. Chessie6459

The M1 is my grandfathers engine. He started building the engine back in the early 80's. The tender that is with that engine is only temporary. He is building a coast to coast tender. That is the correct tender for it. I am planning to build an A-5 here in the future. :cool: :cool:
  16. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I dunno...

...I guess I'm impatient. I took 2 swipes at this thread- read the kudos- here I sit- 5 minutes later waiting for the epiphany.

Oh wait- it'll be 2 minutes now!

I can't wait!!!