Pepakura resolution question.

Discussion in 'Software' started by ltla9000311, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the resolution on a model when you export it into a bitmap? I'm using version 2. Everything I export to work on in Photoshop is at 72 dpi. I would like to be able to get a finer resolution. Anything will help!
  2. crimson

crimson Member

In pepekura 2 you cannot specifically change the "dpi" setting, however, you can change the resolution of the bitmap image up to a maximum of 4000 pixels on any side. On an A4 sheet, (about 11.5 inches) at 4000 x 3326 pixels that would equate to 347dpi, (probably higher as you would generally have some borders around it).

Why this is not reflected in the displayed 'dpi' setting I don't know (bug?).

In pepakura 3 you can specifically adjust the dpi setting which just adjusts the resolution in pixels. The only diference in V3 is that the maximum resolution of the output is 4096 pixels rather than the 4000 pixels in V2
  3. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Crimson, I've made a page at the size you've specified, but what should the dpi setting on that page be? If I copy the bmp from Pep into the new page at 72 dpi I just get a little copy in the middle of the new page. When I resize it it just gets blocky and looses rez. I am using photoshop by the way. Should I use a different program for rescaling?
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Can't you change the default resolution in PhotoShop to something higher than 72dpi? It sounds like Photoshop is importing the bmp from Pep and reducing the resolution to 72dpi so it will be more web friendly. That would also alter the apparent size of the graphic. Just a thought. :)

I use Paint Shop Pro instead of PhotoShop.
  5. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

SCEtoAux-Yeah and I have done that too. My page size is 8 1/2 x 11, standard letter size. I tried a 300 dpi too in that format and all I got was a really small version of my original drawing when dragging and dropping. When rescaling it, all I got was a really crappy resolution large sized drawing. I know this is because the format is a raster format not vector. How would I change my raster formats to a vector format? If I knew how to do that I could fumble around until I've got the size I want!
  6. crimson

crimson Member

I think SCEtoAux has got it, that it's the importing into Photoshop that's the problem rather than the export from Pepakura.

Check the bitmap in a simple program like ms-Paint. If it looks ok in that, then it's definitely the way Photoshop opens it. Unfortunately, like SCEtoAux, I am a Paintshop Pro man, so I can't help.
  7. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Well technically I'm not importing into Photoshop itself, just using the export function in Pep, and expoting it into a bitmap. I then open the file in Photoshop, it reads it at the 72 dpi that Pep exports it at. Maybe I'm just not versed enough in this stuff and stick with building.
  8. crimson

crimson Member

I found one of the graphics guys at work uses Photoshop (version CS2?).

I exported an A4 bitmap from Pepakura at a resolution of 2697 x 4000 pxl, and sent it over to the guy with Photoshop. We clicked on "Open", browsed through to the file and opened it without a problem at the correct resolution.

Incidentally, it did not ask for a dpi print resolution for the file. It only asked for this if we open a 'New' file?

for reference, this is a jpg conversion of the bitmap and so represents the max resolution I would expect from Pepakura. (Click on the thumbnail for full resolution)

Is this the resolution you are looking for? Zoom in on one of the glue flaps at the lower right hand side. For reference, in this pattern they are set to 3mm.

Just reading through one of the earlier posts, you mentioned dragging and dropping? Are you dragging the bitmap into Photoshop rather than opening it?
  9. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

No I'm opening it in photoshop then dragging it into a letter size page. I finally had enough with the Pep v2 and got version 3. Problem solved! I really appreciate all your help tho!:thumb:
  10. crimson

crimson Member

Happy to help :thumb:.

I'm glad you solved the problem.