pepakura manual?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nothing, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

is there a manual for pepakura? it may not be needed by most of you guys here but im flubbing around tryin to figure how to use it.
  2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Try this link .. I was just fishing around the net for "Pepakura Tutorial". There's probably a lot more out there.

I've been toying with Pepakura myself the last few days. I'm finally getting the basics. I designed a fairly simple rocket in Lightwave, and was able to open, process, and print it in Pepakura...I was so proud of myself...until I see what others here are accomplishing (LOL). Just keep at it, and we'll both be pros before we know it.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

what are you trying to do with it? Where are you getting your mesh data,is it something you build yourself (in which case what program are you modelling with?) or did you import it from somewhere else?

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Pepakura pretty much is a what you see is what you get. Not much in frills. I havent tried the new one yet and from what I can read from the changes there isn't much new or improved over the original one.

My only issue with pepa is it's ability to handle large polycounts or larger than low poly counts. Especially when you ignore the polycount warning and do all your work only to find the saved file unopenable.

Rhino is really starting to look good especially with it's nurb use resulting in smooth curves when you've flattened. Something pepakura lacks.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

well i use lightwave. took a look at blender put couldnt grasp it.totaly different from LW. yea the low poly thing is aggrivating the hell out of me! LW doesnt have unwrapping and i cant afford to buy a new program so imstuk with pepakura.
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I just downloaded Rhino (evaluation version). I designed a rocket in another program over the weekend, and hopefully I can import it to Rhino ... instead of starting over.

I'll try it out and let you know what I think of capabilities and learning curve. Rhino 4.0 is about $900, so we'll see if it's worth it...for that much it should be thought controlled.

As for Pepakura, setting up your model correctly prior to importing into Pepakura is really important. My model was unfolding really "funky", but once I got the faces flipped correctly, it came out pretty well. Hope you are able to find a helpful tutorial that work for you.