pepakura help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by redwolf28386, Jan 5, 2009.

1. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

wall1 Can anyone tell me how to prevent my models from fracturing into eleventy-billion parts when its unfolded? I've been using the join/disjoin tool to repair.. but that takes a long, long time:curse:
    I guess what I'm looking for is a way to get the model to unfold with less parts. Any help will be much appreciated and my wife won't have to hear anymore :curse: coming from me!

SEBRET Member

don't set it to auto-unfold. Go into the interface, set your size and unfold it. There really is no way to prevent many pieces though. If you want it put together a certain way then you have to invest the time to combine the pieces.
  3. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

Thanks Sebret, that makes a big difference!:thumb:

I'm working on a Gran Torino and a C-17. Hopefully they will turn out well enough that I can at least post a pic or two!

SEBRET Member

no problem. That's always been the one thing with pep is that it can't read peoples minds. Even with well designed models, it doesn't really understand where the best place to cut it is. Good luck with your models and I hope to see some pics to see what you can do with the program.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

simplifying the 3d model will go a long way to avoiding a zillion parts.
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I guess you are taking a model from somewhere on the net... If you designed from scratch, I'm sure you'd have designed it in an easily unfoldable way. But that's off-topic. :D

You can specify where to open your edges and where to connect them BEFORE you have even unfolded, this way the unfolded pattern will be much more managable. Also as said previously, processing the unfold is what takes the most time in pepakura, this software is not a one-button magic wand...
  7. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

It happens with both actually.. I found a car in the sketchup library on google that look pretty simple and 2 airplanes I designed on sketchup and all 3 fragmented. Just today, I have found out that if I design my models a section at a time (wing, fuse, tail, gear, etc.) and unfold each separately they unfold with a lot less parts!! My fuselage for my plane ended up with 4 parts, but my wing still unfolded with 17 pieces...that was a lot easier to rejoin before I printed it, but I was trying to get it to unfold with only 3 parts(right, left and middle section)..
  8. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

If you using Pep 2 you can unfold each object on it's own. Do any adjustments and then undo the unfold saving the adjustments. Then move onto the next object.

Cheers JTF
  9. DHL

DHL Member