Pepakura 2

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by barry, Nov 10, 2006.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Has anyone else tried this program it seems to be better on unfolding not so sure about join/cut subroutine it's a little confusing. I liked the old red and black lines being permanently shown if you wanted.

I think I will use it but I will not be throwing the old mark 1 version away for quite while yet.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hmmm I dont see anything on the list that would require an upgrade other than the better unfolding algorithm.
  3. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Just installed it. I'll check it out more thoroughly later this evening.
    Since all I have to do is provide my registration information from vesion 1 to receive an unlock code for version 2 I see no reason not to.

I did notice one thing already.

It now supports US Letter format.

More later.....
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

This is the link to the Pepakura Designer 2:
    They also have left a link for the original version, I see.

I've always wanted to learn how to use this along with Metaseq...I know you went throught his on another thread, the thread still available here?

I would love to learn at a very basic, step by step level, how to design a paper model. I started a container ship at one time, but it's been so long I need a refresher on using Metaseq to get it going again.

Maybe your old thread will give me some guidance?

5. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Synopsis of noted changes:

3D model window:

Changing models UV coordinates: Previously you were only able to swap the U & V coordinate. You are now able to tag a side as U and/or V and then adjust the UV coord correctly.

Select edges to cut/not cut: BIG improvement here. No longer need to Menu select "Specify edge to cut"/No cut". Merely selecting an edge designates it to be cut. Edge acquisition by the mouse is no longer as 'erratic' as in version 1.

Pattern window:

You can now move parts around the page simply by 'click and hold', then move. Previously a menu selection was required. This function seems to work no matter what other function you are currently using. (Such as rotate part)

Adjusting flaps/glue tabs: BIG BIG Improvement! You can now input the rise angle of EACH SIDE of a glue tab/flap. While technically you should be able to create a triangular flap for assembly of a cone by setting rise angle to 90° on one side and 1° on the other (A suggestion I had made to the designer some time back) I have not been able to achieve more than a flap pointed in the center so far. Still, a MAJOR improvement.

Join Faces/Cut Faces: These previous two seperate functions have been combined into one. One click to cut. One click to join.

Rotate Part: Previously simple red dots appeared on the available axis points for rotation. All fine and good unless your model is red in color. Then you would have to turn off apply texture to see the axis points.
    Axis points are now white dots with a red outline.

Line style configuration: You now are able to create custom spaced dotted/dashed lines.

Other Functions:

You can now color flaps with the neighboring color face. This operation is memory intensive and I found it hard to distinguish flaps once they were colored. I will not be using this function.

Once I receive my unlock key I will go further in depth with the program as I'm sure I've not covered all the changes.

In short, I will be switching to this version.
    So far I have only seen improvements which will GREATLY speed up my development time.

If you have been debating purchasing this program I highly recommend the new version.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I"m with Jim on this request, a step by step for absolute "idiots" on using one of these programs to make a paper model. I read a primer on Rhino here at one time, and now this pepakura, and I think someone ran thru metasequoia at one time, these are all neat programs, and I see alot of the designers use them but darn If I can follow after loading something into the things. Or even better can someone suggest a primer or basic book in the format, see Johns computer... see the keyboard... etc. I know alot is practice but I usually end up with a neat 3d rectangel or something square that I could've 2d ed in corel draw.
  7. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

As far as simple learning curve for Pepakura just download the trial version and go through the help files. Nice screenshots included and they'll take you through the unfolding and parts arranging process.

As for the 3D you feed to Pepakura that's another story and will be dependant on the 3D program you choose.

After some initial confusion with Tamasoft over my not being in their records (I purchased my license in 2004 directly from Dr. Mitani's e-cardmodel Co., before Pepakura transferred to Tamasoft) I provided them with my original license email (HINT: Save those email licenses to CD with the purchased program!) and received my unlock code for Ver2.

Free full version number upgrades, not a bad deal at all for a nearly 3 year old purchase. That's my kind of customer support.
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I had the same problem, until I found my original purchase email. A quick play with the program it appears it does handle files a lot better. My one and only attempt at a 3D model, unfolds better than in the first version, but not good enough yet to release.

But the user interface is a far cry better than on the old version. I have had a problem of it not wanting to open a new file inside the same directory though. I have to either back out of the directory and reenter or exit the program and restart it.
  9. fructose

fructose Member

I've checked it out too, and with my experience with the program I'd say this is a major improvement. Some of the other nice things you can do is add an image to the development window. Very nice if you want to add a little picture to show the built model, or a tricky portion of the build. Also, you can input more that one line of text in a text box instead of having to use several boxes. And it looks like you'll be able to choose line colors, but it seems like that's a registered function.

If you've used this before, then this is a great (and free) upgrade.
  10. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Hi Ash and Fructose!

I noticed the file/directory problem also. I'll see if I can tweak that in the Windows registry.

Fructose: I saw the add image function but hadn't played with it yet..sure would be a time saver for me to create a jpg of my terms of use instead of typing it every time.....(Might even slap a logo in there)

All in all I'm happy with it.
  11. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Sitting and staring......

Just noticed one more thing:

The 25 page limitation is gone.

Dragging a part horizontally you can now go 16 pages wide.
    I stopped trying/counting vertically at 50 rows. (800 pages of parts)

Yeah. I'm thinking large projects.........:twisted:
  12. fructose

fructose Member

Ok, found out a couple more things. You can change any line color with the Set Line Color button. The dialog box opens up and then you can select what types of line you want to change. Then you click on the lines to change them. You can also click and drag to select several at once.

Also, you can now export directly to a .bmp with no size limitation! Very nice for releasing your work in a format anyone can open. Also, you can export a blank design and use the layout to do your textures. That way you have all the lines on a blank page for you to color in just how you want.

Very nice...