Pennsy-izing a Mantua 0-6-0

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Flangehead, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

This probably belongs in the kitbashing section, but here it is.
    I had a used, very dusty and poorly painted all metal Mantua 0-6-0 laying around and I noticed that it was actually a good little engine, it just needed a little TLC. The short wheelbase of the engine caused it to stall on turnouts, so I added a pickup wiper on one tender truck. It worked very well. Next I stripped all the old paint off and made a Belpaire firebox by molding "PC-7" epoxy and filing it down repeatedly. That stuff is good! It dries very hard and can be filed or sanded. Next came the repaint and a few detail parts ( generator,bell and fireman).
    With it's weight and good running motor, this little kettle will be out of retirement for a long time.

Attached Files:

• 060.jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
  2. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

Attached Files:

• 060a.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Wow, that looks great! And the scene in the first photo is very nice as well. Have any other photos of it?

4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

nice looking little loco.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

6. pjb

pjb Member

Very nice job , but you need valve gear. Mantua had a kit for it at one time, and maybe MODEL POWER has it , since they have taken over the line. They probably don't - so I might suggest that you look at Bowser, and MDC's offerings, to find one to adapt. Long time dealers often have old parts around that can be adapted.
    Good-Luck, PJB
  7. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

I might do the valve gear, but for now I am considering it to be a Stephenson geared model with piston valves. Thanks for the info!