Pennsy-izing a Mantua 0-6-0

Flangehead

This probably belongs in the kitbashing section, but here it is.
I had a used, very dusty and poorly painted all metal Mantua 0-6-0 laying around and I noticed that it was actually a good little engine, it just needed a little TLC. The short wheelbase of the engine caused it to stall on turnouts, so I added a pickup wiper on one tender truck. It worked very well. Next I stripped all the old paint off and made a Belpaire firebox by molding "PC-7" epoxy and filing it down repeatedly. That stuff is good! It dries very hard and can be filed or sanded. Next came the repaint and a few detail parts ( generator,bell and fireman).
With it's weight and good running motor, this little kettle will be out of retirement for a long time.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 110

pjb

Very nice job , but you need valve gear. Mantua had a kit for it at one time, and maybe MODEL POWER has it , since they have taken over the line. They probably don't - so I might suggest that you look at Bowser, and MDC's offerings, to find one to adapt. Long time dealers often have old parts around that can be adapted.
Good-Luck, PJB

Flangehead

I might do the valve gear, but for now I am considering it to be a Stephenson geared model with piston valves. Thanks for the info!

Rob