pede gearing help

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by tippietoejoe, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe New Member

Hello all, this will be my first posting. Alittle about my pede it has Tmaxx wheels, a 9t speed gem, super rooster, converted 6 cell 3000 mah nmh to a 8 cell. losi springs, hot bodies a-arms and shocks. okay so enough about my little girl. My main problem is gearing. I run to the hobby shop where this guy tells me to divide the spur by the pinon but what does this number mean? What is the best gear ratio for high speeds but will give me enough torque to move these tires? I keep going back and forth trying gears but I cant seem to get it right. Before I put these bigger meats on I was able to put about 10 car lengths on my bestfriends Tmaxx I was at the time running a 12 tooth pinon with a 92 tooth gear spur, but I need more. I hope you all can help me out. thanks guys and gals.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

those # the guy in the hobby shop told you doesnt tell you much.you have to experiment with the performance.if you want a little more top end go with a 15 tooth pinion instead of the 12.see how you like that.if you want more then keep uping the ratio little by little until you find it performing the way you want.just becarful not to gear it to high because you can burn somthing out.
  3. combatcm

combatcm Member

Well, the first thing is the motor. The stampede is way too heavy for it. If you could actually find them I'd suggest a 110 tooth spur and a 12 tooth pinion. That's not going to happen, stick with a speed gems titanite, best motor for speed and fun. But, if you are intent on beating him, get smaller proline tires and a 13T motor and a 12T pinion and 92 tooth spur. Might run a little hot but It'll go fast.

Tim, he's running a 9T motor, why in the world would you say a 15 tooth pinion. A 15T pinion will burn it out. It might go fast after accelerating 300 feet, but if your going to drive around and turn, its not good.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

wow 9t?over saw that.i do on road speed runs and I dont even go that low in turns of the arm.you should run a 15 or a 16 single or a double with those big tires an keep the gearing low.if you race on the road,then go with tires like combatcm says (onroadtires)then you can run a faster motor and gear it higher.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

also,putting them tires on the truck will up the gearing beacuse the diameter of the entire wheel is larger so if anything you would want to go with lower gearing or stick with the same and run a less hot of a motor.

not sure why you want to put them tires on it.maybe because thats what your freind has on his truck?if so,you should both get onroad tires.

and as far as your truck.it is 2 wheel drive.i would get onroad tires with foam inserts and put them on the T-max wheels in the back.and get Badit buggy wheels for the front.then you dont have to push them big wheels that dont drive/just steer.

on his truck.he should gear it higher for one.and should get onroad tires on all four T-max rimes since he has four wheel drive.
  6. tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe New Member

The main reason I put these tires on was to extend the wheel base. with the speeds that I was getting out of the pede I couldnt keep it on the ground in turns, it was just too top heavy. Since putting on these wheels I am able to turn with out flipping the truck. Another problem was bottoming out, but now I can pretty much jump anything with out a worry. We pretty much race in a field where we kinda need an off road tire. Although I do run the soft Masher Maxx all terrain tire you are right street would be nice at times. Guys i dont mean to sound stupid, but after reading your replies I am still not clear on how to gear. Let me see here the lower the pinion sticking with a 92t spur the fast the take off or acceleration? The higher the pinion sticking with the 92t spur the less acceleration, but more torque? I guess I am not clear on gearing still. TIM you said these tires will up the gear on the truck so does that mean I could run alittle more tooth on the spur? Maybe I should ask about the turns aswell if I put my speed gems 13t back into the truck wouldnt this slow it down? I thought the more turns the slower the motor? That is the main reason I put the 9t into it. Tim, Combatcm thanks for your help although I am alittle slow on this subject.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

i m not sure if you can get a bigger spur than that 92
  8. tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe New Member

No Tim 92t is as big as I get I tried a 98t but it was too big. The guy at the hobby shop said that if I switch it to a different pitch I could go as high as 110t. But if I were to do this would that mean more top end or more low end? See I am still not sure, I guess I am going to just play around the the gears I have. I have a 14t 17t 20t 24t and the 12t that I am running right now. So I guess I will just play around and see what runs better. I just dont want to lose my speed that I have. Just want more. lol, thanks again Tim
  9. tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe New Member

OH NO! I wrote spur and not pinion I meant run more tooth on the pinion sorry about that Tim.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

yeah if you go with a 64 pitch you can go as high as 110 but that doesnt change the ratio.stick with the 48 pitch.if you want to run those fat#@$%tires go with a motor with more turns.
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

Gearing: Pinion- lower # of teeth will get you more torque and accelleration.
    higher # of teeth will get you more top end.
    Spur- lower # of teeth top end
    higher # of teeth torque and accelleration.
    Motor: Turns- lower # = higher RPM
    higher # = lower RPM
    you will need to stay with a single or double motor. A single will give you more torque and less top end and a double will give good torque with a little better top end.
    With your truck, the trans is not geared for the large T-Maxx tires, you will probably need to run the right size tires that came with your truck to get the gearing right for the speed you want. As far as it being top heavy, lower your ride hieght, and put heavier wieght shock oil in the shocks to control chassis roll, and get some sway bars (optional), you will have to rig them on your self, be creative. The heavier shock oil will also help with bottoming out, which really doesn't hurt the truck anyway unless your jumping over cars or something.
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

mastec is alittle confused with motors.there is a difference between the Turns and Winds

turns=the amount of times the wire was rapped around the armature

winds=the amount of wire that was rapped around the armature.

less turns=more Power.more winds also means more Power but has a heaveir armature to spin do to the more wire.so the result is more RPM but not as much more torque.

winds are often misunderstood.

example:12turn sextuplet can generate more power then an 8 turn single.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

well the way you worded it,it seemed as if you were and would definitly confuse someone learing about it.

also `wind` is not that simple.it doesnt refer to how the arm is wound it refers to the amount of wires use to wind it.
  14. mastmec

mastmec Member

I am not confused just trying to keep it simple.
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

wow that post was deleted.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

mastec.how did you delete your post and place a post in that same tread?
  17. mastmec

mastmec Member

I corrected myself as you posted the next reply, I'm bad, and yes wind is how many strands of wire are used.
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

wow now it is in a different tread
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

Any post you say has a little trashcan in it. Click it and it will be deleted.
  20. timrock

timrock Active Member

there was an entire post deleted.how did you take out what you posted?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.