Peco Wye...Smaller radius?

I have several Peco wye's, bought used, #6 I believe. I need a much tighter radius for the wye on my sawmill section.

I have Peco #4's leading from the main onto the legs of the wye but at the actual "Y" I need the tighter radius and shorter overall length as the track begins to immediately turn to the log dump, skirting a sheer rocky cliff. I've looked at the online sources I'm familiar with and haven't found a code 80 #4 wye, just a Code 55. I've never mixed the two track codes but Walthers seems to indicate they are compatable.

Anyone know of a source of Code 80 #4 wyes of if the two codes can mix?

I can't use and don't need a larger radius.

ADDED: As an alternative, on closer inspection, I find I could fit in a #4 left turnout in place of the wye. Just wouldn't look as elegant.

Thanks

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
Yes, Peco code 55 is compatible with Peco/Atlas/Kato/etc. code 80 track. The reason why Peco code 55 works, is because Peco code 55 is basically code 80 height rail that is embedded some .025 inches into the ties, leaving .055 inches of rail showing (code 80 rail is .080 inches high, code 55 rail is .055 inches high, etc. etc.).

A problem that you might run into is that since the code 55 rail is embedded, the top of that rail sits lower than the code 80 rail. So, you might find yourself shimming up one or the other rail piece to bring the railtops even. It's not that difficult, and can be hidden, but it's something you have to do. I have two pieces of code 80 track that I had to use amongst all of my Peco code 55, because the equivalent items were not available in Peco code 55.

---jps

C

Catt

The code 55 rail and the code 80 rail are the same height.There are two flanges on the code 55 rail.If you cut off the lower flange the track will mate up to regular code 55 track.With the lower flange in place the code 55 mates up purrfectly with code 80.

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
yeah, i have both code 55 and code 80 peco track on my layout, both work fine with each other (although the code80 doesnt look as good as the 55, imo)

daniel

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
A quick check on the latest Peco catalog:
code 80 wye has a radius of 30" (762mm) and a frog angle of 8 degrees.
code 55 wye has a radius of 24" (610mm) and a frog angle of 10 degrees.
for some reason, the wye turnouts don't match the radii of any other turouts.