peco turnouts

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by cyclotourist, Feb 21, 2006.

1. cyclotourist

cyclotourist New Member

Hi All,

I'm a new member of the gauge and I'm reading to ask my first question. I'm planning a new HO layout based on the Maine Central in Brunswick, ME. I'm leaning towards using the new peco code 83 turnouts and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of electro-frog vs. insul-frog. I will be beginning with 2 cab DC wiring, but I would like to make everything easily switchable to DCC in the future. By the way, I do plan to use small steam locomotives, so powered frogs will probably be desirable.

2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave welcome to the gauge David :wave: can't help much with Peco turnouts only have one its a code 100 three way and it makes me to say bad words at times:)
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I have a half-built DCC layout (about 13 0 feet of track layed down) with approx. 35 turnouts in place, all Peco electrofrogs (with the exception of 2 which are Shinoara). I've wired this layout just as I did my other DC layouts which had dual-cab control (with the exception that I don't need the selector switches...). I am VERY satisfied with their looks and performance - wouldn't use anything else!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gus (LC&P).
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi, David.
    My layout is 100% Peco turnouts (not the code 83, though), a mix of Insul- and Electrofrogs.
    The Insulfrogs can simplify the wiring. They don't produce short circuits in standard situations. The one rail that the switch is set against is dead. The frog is plastic and some locomotives will lose contact on it. Some wheels with wide treads can short on the frog by touching the other rail if it is powered from the other direction.
    Electrofrog is the all-rail system. If you supply power from the frog end, they will short out when the switch is turned against it. There is power all the way through the frog, helping with slow-speed running. Most situations will require an insulated gap in the rails beyond the frog. You can isolate the frog and wire it through a switch on the switch machine. Some wheels have been known to short between the stock rail and the open point. The frog looks better because it is all rail.
  5. cyclotourist

cyclotourist New Member

It sounds like electrofrog is the way to go. Now I just have to convince myself that its worth the extra cost over Walthers or Atlas turn-outs. I read on the Peco website that they plan to come out with a #8 switch in 2006. Anyone have any idea when?

6. shaun_m

shaun_m New Member

The Insulfrogs can simplify the wiring. They don't produce short circuits in standard situations. I Agree

I have over 40 points and have had no problems using Insulfrogs, much recommended!

My setup includes the following
    SL-97Small RadiusY (5)
    SL-95Med Radius R/H (7)
    SL-96Med Radius L/H (10)
    SL-86Curved Radius R/H (1)
    SL-87Curved Radius L/H (3)
    SL-91Small Radius R/H (1)
    SL-92Small Radius L/H (1)
    SL-99Med three Way Split (3)