Peco turnout installation question

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
I am going to be using the small radius Peco turnouts on my layout along with Caboose Industry ground throws with the selectable ends.MY question is this-I noticed that on one side of the throw bar there are two pins,the other side has one.I take it this is where the throw gets connected.On the side with two pins can one be cut off?One or two of my turnouts are in sort of tight places and need the room for the throw.
Thanks for any help.Bob

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi....The pins are there for the use of 5-digit throws....(your fingers...!!). I have a bunch of Pecos, and I trimmed the throw bars in places where they would interfere with each other (yard ladders). If you're using ground throws I would snip the pins off to allow sufficient space to attach the ground throw. I would also leave the metal spring in place to help in insuring positive contact of the points with the stock rails.

Hope this helps...

foulrift

Bob
May 2, 2008
Phillipsburg,NJ
Gus-thanks,that does help.I am going to use ground throws.I just wanted to know if I could shorten the throw bar by snipping one pin off the side that has two_Other than that I was not going to alter the switch.I know about the spring that it has for the points which is one reason I am using them.Thanks again-Bob