Peco N: How to add ties under rail-joiners ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
In order to join a track to a turnout with a rail-joiner I have to remove some ties.
After soldering the rail-joiner to the track and the turnout how do I reinstall the removed ties ?

My plan is to cut the inside plastic nails on the ties and fix the ties under the rails using Crazy Glue ( TM).
Does it make sense ?
Tia for any suggestion.

N

nachoman

you don't need to glue the ties back to the rail. Just slide them under, and if they are loose, glue them to the roadbed with white glue. If they somewhat stay in place, the ballast will hold them when it is glued down.

Kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
you don't need to glue the ties back to the rail. Just slide them under, and if they are loose, glue them to the roadbed with white glue. If they somewhat stay in place, the ballast will hold them when it is glued down.

Kevin

That's the way I do it, too. Depending on your railjoiners, sometimes it's worthwhile to remove a little material from the top of the ties to accomodate the thickness of the joiner. Usually, a few passes over the area of the tie on which the rail sits, using a small file, will do the trick. This will ensure that the rail remains level over the joint.

Wayne

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks to all the nice members who took some of their time to reply.

I tried to glue the tie directly to the rail-joiner using CrazyGlue, but the bond is very very weak.
I'll go for the 2nd suggested solution : file the tile slightly and slide it under the roadbed with some glue or caulking.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
What I do is carve the tie under the rail to remove the spikes and a bit of the tie -- gouge a space that matches the rail joiner. I use a long pointed X-Acto blade. I started making two cuts - one from each side - but now I can do it in one.
I do this without removing the tie from the strip that holds it to the rail.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for explaining your technique 60103, unfortunately I can't apply it now because I already removed the tie from the strip that holds it to the rail.
I'm not even sure your method would apply to my particular case because I solder all the rail-joiners.