Peco insulfrogs

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Got a part of my track down and tested.
Trackwork (flex) seems to be OK, but every time locks and cars passes the frog of a turnout, they seemed to be shaked.
No derailments but a click sound and a visible shaking of cars and locks. This happens on each of the five turnouts in the loop.
The turnouts are Peco insulfrog and scale is N.
Any idea ?

Paul

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Are they coarse scale or fine scale insulfrogs? (I don't know if they have the different types in N)
If you take a car and push it through the turnout, can you feel a lurch? The wheel tread is supposed to move from the rail to the point of the frog without losing contact with rail. If the gap is too wide, it may fall in. Is this what's happening? The flange is often expected to ride on the floor of the frog, but with all the variations in flange depth, this seldom happens, or else it raises the wheel up.
I don't know what to suggest, but if you look at what's happening, you may get an idea.
I just had to add some plastic strips to an HO crossing to keep wheels from changing tracks at it. I used 1" thick (HO 1") plastic glued to the railhead to narrow the flangeway.

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks David.
It is the wheels dropping in the frog.
Got a tip to glue a small piece of business card in the frog, tryed that and got a major improvement.

Paul