Peco Flextrack

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Anybody use this ??? I got some during Thursday's shopping trip cause the first store didn't have enough Atlas flextrack. Well, I didn't even notice that the Peco track doesn't have holes for track nails. It's also a lot more difficult to work with than Atlas, at least for me.

Any suggestions from others who may have tamed these beasties ???

I've got several lengths sitting on a chair in my living room waiting for me to get off my duff and build a layout to use them on. I'm going to be using polystyrene so I plan on gluing it and not nailing it. You may also notice that the tie spacing is wider (European) than the Atlas (American). Did you get the code 80 or 55? I went with the 55 because the new Atlas stuff keeps me from running alot of my engines/rolling stock. I like the look of the Atlas, but not enough to begin converting to L/P wheels and grinding flanges!

C

Catt

The only Peco products on my layout besides the code 55 flextrack are the Peco turnouts.

I would have used tha new ATLAS code 55 but got tired of waiting for it to show up.

Micro Engineering was not even a concideration for me since ya can't get the darn stuff when you need it.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
rockislandmike I use only peco code 55 and peco med. (or #6) turnouts. Why do you need nail holes?
I spread white glue down lay the track and hold it in place with small finishing nails (pushed into place along side the track by hand/tracks laid on blueboard) then remove nails next day. My layout is N-Scale. The few areas I used roadbed I went with AMI which holds the track fine unless you get under about a 10 inch radius.I've had no problems with the flexability. I didn't use Micro-eng. cause I couldn't find anybody with a steady supply, I ruled out Atlas because they hadn't come out with code 55 yet (and still haven't near as I can tell) and the Atlas code 83 looks like Lionel high rail to me.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Nail Holes

Mike:
I never liked the look of nails in the middle of the track. I put spikes or nails on the ouside of the rails, between the ties. When I eventually glue the ballast in, they can be removed if they're offensive.
One fellow used to put pins (Peco makes some thin ones) through the ties just outside the tie plates and that was unnoticeable. (Im talking HO here; I haven't done N for about 18 years.)
If I really need to put a pin through the tie, I drill a tiny hole (#70?) first. You can even push the pin through without a pilot hole, but it may distort the tie.