Peco Electrofrog turnouts - HO vs N contact

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I was doing a little of your mental exercise re: the alternating direction of each loop. An easier way to achieve it would be to add a second control DPDT relay that would reverse the polarity and point throw of the loop the train is currently on. The trick would be to lock the relay in position but not have it actually applied to the track until the sensor on the opposite loop or possably one located on the mainline is activated. Put one on each loop and they would alternate CW and CCW on each progressive trip. It would be a little more complicated, but not so much so that it wouldn't be be doable if you really wanted that feature.

zeeglen

Think i get you now on how you throw your turnouts - each sensor throws BOTH, not just one. Couldn't figure out at first how you returned each diverging turnout back to straight after each pass, but when done in conjunction with the turnout throw of the opposite loop makes perfect sense. ie turnouts are always set opposed to each other. Is this right?

On your last post, i think you are saying that the relays do not necessarily have to be tied to the throwbars. This is correct, the direction and routing functions are different but because they are related and can be synchronized seemed like an easy way to turn a turnout into a latching relay using linked microswitches without having to actually use latching relays. Many ways to skin this snake (with respect for any cat lovers reading this). Your described function seems to be the same in that the direction is not reversed until the train is on the opposite loop.

This is an interesting exercise, i wonder how simple this type of arrangement can be made for both the same loop polarity version and the alternating loop polarity version? I don't think the same polarity version can be made much simpler, but the alternating polarity gives me crossed eyes and a headache everytime i think about it.:confused:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I agree about the crossed eyes. I have figured out the loop directional switching circuits, very simple. The problem that I am running into is where to place the sensors so that each loop is alternated from CW to CCW. I'll burn out a few more brain cells trying to figure it out. As soon as I do (note the confidence :D ) I'll post the results.

Pooh Bah
I think you'll find it easier to run around the loop the same way each time. (Don't have to go around both loops the same way.) Then just switch the main line track each time both turnouts change.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I agree David, and that will probably do just that. The reversing of direction is more mental calisthenics than a practical application. Some day there may be a situation where it would be an advantage. Besides, as they say, "use it or lose it." That goes for your mind too. :D :D

zeeglen

Originally posted by 60103
I think you'll find it easier to run around the loop the same way each time. (Don't have to go around both loops the same way.) Then just switch the main line track each time both turnouts change.

Right, it's not quite as complicated. But thought it would be fun to see if there was a way to have the trains alternate their direction on the loops each time around given lots of available switching poles sync'd to the turnouts. Someday i might actually build it...

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I have been working on this project for the last few days and think that I am close to a solution. I discarded a couple of plans because they started getting way too complicated. I'm working on the KISS theory. As soon as I have something that I think will work I'll post it so it can be picked apart about what is wrong with it. :D :D I don't mind that though, few things work right the first time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

zeeglen

Last fall we had a discussion on single track mainline with return loops at each end and how to keep it simple. Here is an interesting link to a similar plan with fixed (not moving) point turnouts (!!!) and diode switching to handle the loop polarity. The only thing the operator must do is reverse power to the mainline, even that could be automated easily.

http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/dctramway

shamus

Registered Member
You can use reed relays set into the track to actuate the reverse polarity module, which in turn will change lights from green to red or red to green etc.

Shamus

jon-monon

I always thought it would be cool if the reeds could be set so the motor on the lokey activates them, rather than attaching a magnet to each lokey. I don't know how well it would work with different motors and frames.