Peco C55 turnout electrical connectivity problem

gringo

Nov 13, 2005
Hi guys and gals,

I have 3 Peco Code 55 turnouts that refuse to get with the program; I'll clean he h#ll out of them, they'll work for a bit, and then the engines start to sputter and stop, even as much as 10 minutes later. All of my other turnouts work fine, but not these 3. They're driving me nuts.

I know it's just an electrical connection problem between the points and main rail; I just don't now how to make it go AWAY!

I've used a bright boy, and some Labelle 107 medium oil (LHS was out of the light stuff) but it still brings my switching operations to a halt every time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this go away? Besided pulling up the track? (I'd rather not do that)

Thanks!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I don't know about the PECO N scale turn-outs, but on my atlas HO turn-outs, I took some very small wire, made a "spring" out of it by coiling it around a very small screwdriver, then soldered the ends to the rail and to the point near the pivot.

some of the turn-outs were already in place, and I soldered them so that the spring was under the rails and between the ties. It was easier to do on the turn-outs which had not been installed yet.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
My guess is you have some type of material between the points and the stock rail. Try using a fine grit sand paper (600 or better) place the sand paper (folded) between the point and the stock rail, hold a little bit of pressure on the point and sand back an forth. remove the sand paper and blow( use a caned air for cleaning computers etc.) air in the area you just sanded to remove any dirt or grime. Then use a contact cleaner at where the points hit the stock rail. Bet that will make the turnout work.
Keep us posted on how you make out.

gringo

Nov 13, 2005
thanks guys- i'll prolly go the sandpaper route, but I might experiment with the wiring too!