peco 55 concrete ties.

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by mojo, Oct 21, 2006.

1. mojo

mojo Member

I was thinking of getting peco code 55 flex track with concrete ties. Do any of the switches come in concrete ties???? Looks like wooden. That might look a little goofy? I dunno. Thanks, Tim
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Prototype turnouts are still on wood ties.:thumb:
  3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I wonder what their reasoning is behind that. Seems like it would be even more difficult to replace ties under turnouts than it would be under main lines.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

We had a long discussion of this at the Trains forum last year.
    They seem to be starting to use concrete ties under turnouts, but most are still wood. I think there is a problem making concrete ties in all the different variations needed for a turnout; with wood you just drill a hole in a different place.
    I've noted that the Toronto subway uses variations of concrete ties and full concrete base (in tunnels) but goes to wood ties in ballast for turnouts -- even in the tunnel.
  5. mojo

mojo Member

Do any of the code 55 switches come in concrete ties? Thanks.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

As of their catalog from 2004, Peco did not offer turnouts with concrete ties in any scale. I haven't heard of any being added.
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

In real life, you won't find a lot of concrete tie turnouts. In concrete tie areas, turnouts are stil wood.
  8. caliban

caliban Member

In Germany, concrete ties on turnouts are a common sight. Seems wooden ties don't work on highspeed rail lines.
  9. mojo

mojo Member

Ok thanks! Just gonna look strange with white ties then black ties.
  10. olderscout

olderscout New Member

concrete ties

In Palmer Lake, Co. when the UP replace the ties on the joint line the switch was also replaced with concrete ties. They assembled the switch beside of the one they were replaceing and placed in just like we would do in the modeling area as one big switch. It took them several days to assemble it and place it.