peco 55 concrete ties.

mojo

Feb 2, 2004
North Florida
Visit site
I was thinking of getting peco code 55 flex track with concrete ties. Do any of the switches come in concrete ties???? Looks like wooden. That might look a little goofy? I dunno. Thanks, Tim

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I wonder what their reasoning is behind that. Seems like it would be even more difficult to replace ties under turnouts than it would be under main lines.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
We had a long discussion of this at the Trains forum last year.
They seem to be starting to use concrete ties under turnouts, but most are still wood. I think there is a problem making concrete ties in all the different variations needed for a turnout; with wood you just drill a hole in a different place.
I've noted that the Toronto subway uses variations of concrete ties and full concrete base (in tunnels) but goes to wood ties in ballast for turnouts -- even in the tunnel.

olderscout

Feb 2, 2004
Palmer Lake Co.
Visit site
concrete ties

In Palmer Lake, Co. when the UP replace the ties on the joint line the switch was also replaced with concrete ties. They assembled the switch beside of the one they were replaceing and placed in just like we would do in the modeling area as one big switch. It took them several days to assemble it and place it.