PECO 3 way code 100 med turnout

Hudsonline

Feb 17, 2007
Has anyone used this particular turnout? I want to purchase this turnout, but cannot find out which switch machine to buy. Will the Atlas undertable switch machines work?

I have no experience with 3 way turnouts. I currently use Atlas turnouts and undertable machines to power them

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Wow, I'm rather surprised that no-one has responded to this thread because there are a lot of atlas ans Peco users here. I'm not an expert on either manufacturer, but I have used both, so I may be able to help. If anyone want to chime in, feel free.

Peco trackage is European and looks that way, so if you are worried about prototype looks you may want to use an American style track manufacturer. The older Atlas had big spike heads that look fairly close to Peco's Euroclips(lack of better name). I'd try to maintain styles. Check out Walther's line of code 83 track. It's made by Shinohara who manufactures a great reliable line of turnouts that are American styled. They should have a 3-way turnout available.

There's nothing wrong with Peco, infact, they make some of the most reliable turnouts out there and it is for that very reason that many layout builders spec Peco out for hidden storage and fiddle yards.

Peco also has a points toggle spring that is unique to thier company (as far as I know) that makes the turnouts stand alone not requiring a ground throw(finger sized switchstand). IF you are going to use a motor type of switch machine(Tortoise) to throw the turnout you need to remove the spring. I've never done it, but from what I hear it's a simple manuver. I don't think you would have to do it if you used a selenoid type of SM because it can overcome the spring's holding force, but you may want to do it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Hudsonline

Feb 17, 2007
Does anyone else make a 3-way turnout in code 100?

I wish I were using code 83, but I am using up the remnants of my code 100 trackage for this section of my layout. I will transition the code 83 into the layout at a later date, but unfourtunately this has to be code 100.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use Peco track despite the fact that it looks far more American than British.
I have the 3 way switch. I don't have any problems with it. Peco make switch machines for it that clip directly under the points or can be mounted under the roadbed. Under the roadbed (max 1/2") requires a hole in the 1/4" range; mounting right under the points needs a large rectangular hole for ventilation. They also make a top-of-table mounting kit --you can mount the machine a couple of inches away and cover it with something.
The latching spring must not be removed if you use the Peco machine but needs to be removed if you use a Tortoise slow motion. The spring destroys the slow motion of the machine. Other switch machines may or may not need the spring removed; it's not needed for a machine that locks in position (the Peco machine doesn't lock).
You can get away with just flicking the points with a finger if it doesn't bother you.
They make a 3-way in code 75, but it's not symmetrical.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There is one tiny problem with the 3-way. One set of points needs to be moved before the other. Sometimes the second set may kick hard enough to move the other set over. I fixed up a diode matrix to move both sets at once, but wasn't happy, so I have to stop in the middle.

Hudsonline

Feb 17, 2007
Thanks David,

When I recieve the turnout, I will have to figure out how I want to move the ponts. I'll keep everybody posted.

TW