Pcm Gn S2 4-8-4

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by chuckie_cheez, Jan 25, 2008.

1. chuckie_cheez

chuckie_cheez New Member

Hello all:
    This is my first post on this forum after having posted a few times on the Model Railroader site. Here's my situation and then question. I have built up a consist of GN heavyweight passenger cars. I ordered the Precision Craft Models GN S2 4-8-4 which was the first locomotive to pull the Empire Builder. I placed the order about 2 years ago but have heard nothing since. Does anyone know if PCM intends to build this loco? They still list it on their website but the delivery date is TBD.
  2. Wow, 2 years? Ouch.

PCM, they say a lot of things are "TBD." Most of it does eventually come out.
  3. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

To be frank the GN. S1 with the belpaire firebox was the first to pull the Empire Builder. the later S2 with its 80" drivers was found to be a bit slippery on starting heavy trains. but it was a handsome looking loco.

Hope PCM comes across with your model soon.

Attached Files:

4. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

BLI and PCM are very poorly run companies. They should produce a limited number of engines, actually release them, then wait for orders for more.
  5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Well, at least they give us a fair warning to start saving.
  6. wjstix

wjstix Member

I put in a reservation about two years ago and withdrew it about six months ago. Last I think I saw they were shooting for something like "Summer 2008" according to Walthers website.

BTW the first engines to pull the Empire Builder in 1929 would have been GN's 4-8-2 Mountain type engines, although in flatland areas they used Pacifics too.

I've thought about just doing a kitbashed 4-8-2, looks to me like a Spectrum undec USRA Heavy Mountain with their long vanderbilt tender would come pretty close, especially when decorated in the Glacier Park scheme.
  7. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

Yep' should have said the first 4-8-4 to pull the Empire Builder!