PC Format gripe

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Darwin, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin

Darwin Member

The British disk mags like PC Format are a great source of useful software, but can also be a major pain in the nether region to those of us on the far side of the pond. Case in point is the "latest" copy of PC format, which includes a fully working version (3.6, I think) of Worldbuilder....which, frankly, was the only reason I shelled out $16 US to purchase it. Unfortunately, it has taken the magazine so long to make it to our newsstands that the necessary registration link has already been taken down. When I attempt to register and get the key for the free version, I get a dialog box on the registration page telling me an email was sent with the registration key, but no such email has ever made it into my inbox....and I've tried three different addresses. By any chance, is there anyone among the group who managed to get the registration key for this "freebie" and willing to share it with me?
  2. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Are you, or is your ISP using a spam filter that might have chucked that email?

Just a thought...

3. Kaz

Kaz Member

well said swiftsword, if it's you who filtered it, then you ought to be able to access your email on your hosts server.
    Next time give me a shout, I'm on here most days, and I also regularly buy PCF (sadly not this time) and will help you out.
    Just went to PCF website, found the link to the software and you might be lucky with this
    free serial number for filling in your email, hope it works
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

The filter settings seem to be the culprit. Yahoo/AOL/etc. must automatically assume that any message sent from a former Soviet empire country is either spam, scam, or phishing. I should have remembered I have the same problem when I attempt purchasing from Kancho. The url seems to be unrelated to the WorldBuilder software, but looks interesting anyway. Thanks for the help.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

I take it that you're talking about Digital Elements WorldBuilder. Let us know when you finally get it going. It's a great application for building a set for model pictures.

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Yes, the one I've been struggling with is the Digital Elements program. It will be interesting to see what new bells and whistles were added since Version 2.0. I also upgraded my Daz Bryce to version 5; Daz has a sale going ... $19.95 US for version 5.0, $59.95 for version 5.5. When you consider they also give you a $10 voucher for other purchases from Daz, I just couldn't pass it up. If anyone is interested, you have to kind of 'back into' the sale page through a link on 3D Commune's home page "www.3DCommune.com". The bad news is they only offer the sale by wideband download. Version 5.0 is about 96 meg, 5.5 is about 300 meg. If anyone's interested, the sale will be ending in a couple more weeks. After I get the scanning of the last couple of cardmodel purchases done, I'm going to have to take a little time to see how the two programs compare.
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Time Sucking Graphics Applications

Hi Darwin,

I'm using e-on's Vue Infinite 5.0 currently. The real test of these apps is how compatible it is with import/export file types and how easy it is to perform animation effects. They can use up an amazing amount of time in the learning process. Good news is that they all seem to have similar user interfaces. You just need to find where they put it in the app.

Digital-Element's stuff is one of the best in the market and does work well with many other applications though I've had some problems with it adhering to its own layer at times (produces some pretty interesting though non-repeatable effects). I guess you realize that you're on a slippery slope down into the black hole of time mess'in with this stuff...,

8. Darwin

Darwin Member

Gil, tell me about it!!! Just downloading content is keeping me busy....it has me to the point of going satellite if that's what I have to do to get wideband. Eternity is a 100 Meg download on a 24K landline connection.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.