PC Can Super Store Hudson 4-6-4 5702 running updates

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi there one and all who have the PC Canadian National Hudson 5702.
Just thought I'd add that I finally was able to take my Hudson over to a friends fantastic layout on the May long weekend. He has quite a large layout with a twin track helix. Great guy and a spectacular layout.
For starters, it's Code 83. Now, I know what you're thinking, those IHC steamers have those darn oversize wheel flanges. Well, I ran it from one end of the layout to the other and there were no derailments or seeing the locomotive/tender sway as it went over frogs. There was some ever so slightly but nothing objectionable as I have ran it on my Code 100 Atlas switching layout, 1' x 8'.
Found out it's quite a good hauler too. I coupled it up to a "load test" of approx 24 coal cars, all weighted. It made up the grades of I think if memory serves me correctly graded at 2-3%. Mind you I had to pour on a bit more coal so to speak but no slippage what so ever.
Just as a quick note to add. I did wire up the tender too for dual pick ups and forgo the rear back up light. One day I'll rewire the backup light by my thoughts are now to get it out running. Not spending time in the yard switching cars back and forth.
I do wish that they had the 80" scale wheels on it and made the Vandy tender a bit shorter. Not to mention again those over flanged wheels. But hey, if you run on Code 83 or higher, it shouldn't be a problem.
Just thought I'd pass on my running on anyone else who might have this locomotive and was cautioned on running it on Code 83 track.
Happy hauling every one!