PayPal Protection and Complaint

rudyy

Does anyone know if PayPal will protect the buyer if it is a non ebay transaction. I buy an item off a guy, but the item never shows up.

Also, what is the maximum number of days within which I can file the complaint? Is that 4 weeks?

If paypal does not protect me in this case, can I call the credit card company for assistance. I pay it via paypal using credit card.

Thanks,

Rudy

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
As long as the payment transaction was made through Paypal, you can still file a dispute whether it was through eBay or not.

I'm not sure how long you can wiat to file a dispute but I know most credit card companies won't go after a seller until it's been at least a month.

shaygetz

I know that using Pay-Pal causes ED, global warming, scabies, sterile lab mice and the Republican meltdown in November but I've had no problems with them thus far. As a regular seller/buyer on Ebay, I give it 15 days from the time of purchase, 2 warnings 48 hours apart then I sic the dogs on them. CB is right, most cards give it 30 daze...I still sic the dogs on 'em....

COMBAT

I used a credit card with a merchant and the merchant screwed me. I filed a claim with the credit card. I got my money back and the merchant got a charge back. This only works if this is a merchant with a store front. I hope that info helps! :)

YmeBP

You should do both. Sick them both on a dead beat!! Paypal covers you only if you follow their instructions your credit card normally covers you for purchases over 50$, but check your credit carrd's rules. Also remember a debit/check card IS NOT a credit card and the rules for fraud protection are different for debit/check cards.

rudyy said:
Does anyone know if PayPal will protect the buyer if it is a non ebay transaction. I buy an item off a guy, but the item never shows up.

Also, what is the maximum number of days within which I can file the complaint? Is that 4 weeks?

If paypal does not protect me in this case, can I call the credit card company for assistance. I pay it via paypal using credit card.

Thanks,

Rudy

stripes

Have you contacted the merchant? How long has it been. Sometimes items get back ordered and it takes awhile to get out. If dealing with the merchant fails, then I recomend you file complaints asap.

David

Torpedo

COMBAT said:
I used a credit card with a merchant and the merchant screwed me. I filed a claim with the credit card. I got my money back and the merchant got a charge back. This only works if this is a merchant with a store front. I hope that info helps! :)

I don't know about the store front, but if it was through PayPal, they will charge it back.

Rudy, contact your credit card company and find out how to contest the charge. Make sure you note the time limits.

nolatron

I don't believe paypal buyer protection covers items that weren't bought via an auction.

Heck, even with auction items, the auction *must* state it's covered by the protection plan to get a full refund if something goes wrong.

I bought something off ebay for $750 once, the guy never shipped. I was apparently 1 of 5 people ripped off.

I filled a complaint with paypal, but all they did was refund me $150 because the auction didn't qualify for the full protection program. Since I paid with my capital one credit card I called them. They reversed the charge and bounced it back to paypal. So I got all my money back, for the time being.

Paypal fought the charge back and won, and I was recharged the remaining balance and had to pay it.

Torpedo

nolatron said:
I don't believe paypal buyer protection covers items that weren't bought via an auction.

Heck, even with auction items, the auction *must* state it's covered by the protection plan to get a full refund if something goes wrong.

I bought something off ebay for $750 once, the guy never shipped. I was apparently 1 of 5 people ripped off.

I filled a complaint with paypal, but all they did was refund me $150 because the auction didn't qualify for the full protection program. Since I paid with my capital one credit card I called them. They reversed the charge and bounced it back to paypal. So I got all my money back, for the time being.

Paypal fought the charge back and won, and I was recharged the remaining balance and had to pay it.

That sucks, big time. There is a lesson here regarding both PayPal and Capitol One, I think.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
nolatron said:

That's odd.
I bought some jewelry for my wife that never got shipped and filed a dispute against the seller. I got 100% of my money back.

On the other hand PayPal screwed me on a sale once when a guy pulled a fast one to get a bass guitar I was selling. I ended up being out $250 on that deal. :(

nolatron

Yeah. There's a really really fine line between what Paypal's buyer protection will actually cover I've learned.

It hasn't scared me away from using ebay or paypal at all. Just this past week I bought a 4 brand new dewalt power tools (for building the layout of course), some cake collars, sony speakers, speaker mounts, a 2nd macbook pro battery, and even a new faucet for the kitchen sink for $10 (retail was $80).

I've saved a bundled using ebay, I just be sure to investigate the seller first if things looks... unusual (ie: too good to be true) now before bidding/buying.

rudyy

I escalate to paypal complaint and at the same time call the cc company. The cc company put it to dispute. They said they if I never receive the merchandised item, the cc company will refund me the money. I hope they will keep their words.

Rudy