Paulsen-Knudson Planning

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
NICE Airbrushing Jon!! :D LOL Sorry couldnt resist. :p

Rough as it is, the elevation does give perspective. A drafter by trade, I like to see multiple levels shown separately and the elevation data numbers along with that wonderful <snicker> illustration, tell alot.

I can't wait to see that hill!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Jon:
on the single track version, the passing tracks seem greatly different in length. You only have two, so your trains opposing each other, will meet at one siding, then the other.
You also seem to have one reversing section (the wye). You'll turn trains around, but have to back them up again. Unless you have some other motive.
Is this for you alone or for a bunch of friends? That can make a difference in how you design it. If it's just you, the double track line will let a couple of trains run free while you switch the mine & logging camp.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by 60103
Jon:
on the single track version, the passing tracks seem greatly different in length. You only have two, so your trains opposing each other, will meet at one siding, then the other.
You also seem to have one reversing section (the wye). You'll turn trains around, but have to back them up again. Unless you have some other motive.
Is this for you alone or for a bunch of friends? That can make a difference in how you design it. If it's just you, the double track line will let a couple of trains run free while you switch the mine & logging camp.

Hi David, this is mainly for my own use, but I may have someone else there sometimes. Primarly I'll be modelin, more than runn e'm. I'd like to have trains runnin "in the background" as I'm workin. I lean heavily towards the dual main, and actually did the single main drawing because I thought it might look better and because Shamus said he like single mainline for loggin ops. But after thinkin about it, I do have a single track for logging, up there in the mountains and the main line is a seperate issue down below.

But, on the dual main, somethin aint right and it's been buggin me. Can't put my finger on it. It's been buggin me since I did the side view airbrush drawin. Part of it is that the mountain is too "steep" up the sides, which I had planned on drillin and blastin forthe main, so it would look that way, but now it kinda looks like a top hat. That ain't right.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Jon:
I like the dual main line. Easier to keep a train “running in the background” and still do other stuff. Plus I like it when trains pass each other. But onto the “top hat”.

I think lowering one of the mountains will get rid of this problem and still let you have the rugged terrain you’re trying to create. One solution would be to start Mt. Ramos at Turin yard with a retaining wall only about boxcar height. Draw a bead on the peak of Mt. Badger and connect the two with a slope. You’ll still have quite a cut for Naesa Gap and your mountain will look more “restful”. Also, trying to think of “them” as one mountain with two “peaks” might help you reach a more pleasing form. Lowering Mt. Ramos will also let you see the sidings behind it better.

Another thing you could do would be to take the main line to the right of Mt. B and extend it out to the left edge of the table. This would allow you to bring Mt. B. down to table height more gradually, but still quite steeply, and again help with the “top hat” effect. Any town or other scenery could then be stepped up the “west” slope of Mt. B.

These things can be reversed if you’d rather have Mt. R. as your high point. Concealing part of the layout with something high in front will make your visitors want to walk around the layout so they can see what’s behind the hill. Good place to stash a dramatic or funny scene.

As always Mr. Monon, this advice will self-destruct in ten seconds should you choose to ignore it. Also, there’s the handy “down” button.

Regards,
Ted

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Great ideas, TR, now if I can find that three year old to redraw, erm, I mean if I can find the time to redraw... The upper deck is all one level, except for the transition, and making the two peaks at different heights should add some spice to the soup. I like that.

You know, it didn't look half bad raht after takin my meds...

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
"Puttin' on my Top Hat, takin' out my best...... Gettin' in the MOOOD!!"

Meds good, day brite, crayons fun, taste good,..... Quoth the Raven, "Yum, Yum, Yum.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
SOOOMMMEWHHEERRRE O-VER the Rain-Bow..... Royal Blues run...

STEA-Mers,... Fly down the Nickle Plate,,,,

Why then oh why,,,Can't,,,,,IIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Boy!, I sure am enjoying my vacation! Wish i could make it permanent! Alas, only 3 1/2 more days........sigh.........

"YA work 39 years and wadaya get, a 401K that's leaner than spit." PAss those crayons over here barkeep!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Now let me see, Badger Crick?????? No no no, it's got to be Badger Creek. LOL

Plan looks very nice and easy to wire and work, if you want me to put all power points on your plan, I will do that for you my friend.
Shamus
wink.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Come to think of it, I might just as well do it now for you.

Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• newgarage1ml.jpg
    newgarage1ml.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 71

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by shamus
Now let me see, Badger Crick?????? No no no, it's got to be Badger Creek. LOL

I used the proper spellin fer the local pernounciating. Ask t. who used to live by cobblers knob with ole tripod, or marty who is an hour souther. We call creeks cricks down there. Marty, what do ya call crickets? Sheets? Sheeks? I thought you would like the twist, Shamus :D :D :D

Thanks for powering it up for me! I take it since you "wired" up the single main line version, that's your vote, the single main?

Sure is good to see you back at it! What a long week ;)

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon

I used the proper spellin fer the local pernounciating. Ask t. who used to live by cobblers knob with ole tripod, or marty who is an hour souther. We call creeks cricks down there. Marty, what do ya call crickets? Sheets? Sheeks? I thought you would like the twist, Shamus :D :D :D

Sure is good to see you back at it! What a long week ;)

He's right there Shamus.:D :D :D :D :D
Jon - creeeekits :D :D :D :D :D
Marty