Patlabor Ingram

mysteroid

Just finished Paper-Replika's Patlabor Ingram. Great model, practically puts itself together.

Hard to find cardstock here, so I used photopaper. Not such a good idea. It doesn't fold well and delaminates easily. Still, the model turned out fine. Kudos to the designer!:thumb:

Steve

Attachments

• SAM_0060 (medium).jpg
    SAM_0060 (medium).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 6,703
  • SAM_0063 (medium).JPG
    SAM_0063 (medium).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 294

Tirick

That is a brilliant build!

Out of curiosity, how big does it stand? I've been interested in building one, but I'm uncertain of the scale.

Thank you,
Sean

E

ekuth

Damn! That's a cardmodel?

I could have sworn it was pl***ic! Very slick, nice work!

You know what? Picture of the Week for you! :thumb:

mysteroid

Sean: 30cm to the top of the head. The antennas rise a little above that. I highly recommend this model. I mean if a noob like me can build it, anyone can!

Sean and Ekuth: Thanks for the kind words. I'm surprised the pictures hide the (to me) glaring mistakes in my build. I must say the glossy finish of the photopaper is pretty hot. I haven't decided if it's worth the pain of using it though

POTW!?! I'm speechless! (Humbled as well!)

Tirick

Totally worth the POTW, the glossy finish (and the clean build) more than make this model!

Sean: 30cm to the top of the head. The antennas rise a little above that. I highly recommend this model. I mean if a noob like me can build it, anyone can!

Now all I need to know is how tall the Patlabor is supposed to be. The only reference I can find states 8.2 meters; which would translate the model to about 1:27 scale? Does that sound right to anyone?

Thank you,
Sean

Tirick

Awesome, thank you!

... now I can finally add it to the to-do list; I'm a bit of a stickler for scale, and I like to have all my models in the same scale range.

Arsen NonLupin

It is only the beginning - there is a maintenance facility for this mech on thepaper-replika (yes, IT suits robot ;^) ) and command unit (small police van) and model of helicopter from the anime - a lot things to do.

arkon

WOW! it may have been a pain for you to use the photopaper but i think the result is well worth it! kudos to you.

mysteroid

Hey thanks for the nice comments!

The problem with the photo paper is it doesn't crease well, the fold lines wander and along the crease the paper starts delaminating and giving off a fine powder. A real pain to work with. Now mind you, this is bought in China photo paper. Super cheap no-brand stuff or Kodak branded, it all turned out the same for me.

It seems to me it's easier and faster to build the model with regular card stock then if the subject would respond to a glossy finish then give it a shot with a gloss coat. Full disclosure, I haven't tried this yet!

Steve