Pastel Chalks???

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by iis612, Aug 10, 2008.

1. iis612

iis612 Member

I have some pastel artist chalks that would be great for mortar details. Does anyone have a good method for shaving these into powder? (as they are in stick form.)

In case anyone is curious, French Grey 70F looks great as mortar. I will show an example after I find a better method of applying it.

2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Matt, try rubbing it over a sheet of medium grit sandpaper. When you've got a quantity collected on the middle of the sheet, curl the sheet slightly and dump the powder into a suitable container. You can apply the powder with a soft 1/2" brush, but you'll most likely need to give it a clear overspray after application. This often lessens the effect, so you may have to repeat the process once or twice.
    Don't overlook the fact that mortar comes in many colours, too, from stark white to black.

3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hmmmm...I wasn't aware that mortars needed detailing....(Or that they were "modelled" at all....).
  4. iis612

iis612 Member

5. iis612

iis612 Member

Thanks for the advice. I know the colors vary, but this is for an industrial setting and this color screams concrete.
    I have some AIM powder that is grey but goes on black. I am going to use that on another building for the morter details.