Passenger loco/train advice

scotterdavid

Jan 5, 2007
Hello,

It's that time of the year when my wife starts to ask me what I would like for Xmas, and this year I suspect a passenger loco/train might be a nice addition to my layout. So I wonder if any of you guys could please advise me accordingly.

I'm building a layout thats modelling the pacifica north west. The only loco that I've got at the moment is a BNSF engine, and I guess it would good to add a passenger train that's appropraite for that "line/region". I'll show my ignorance and say that I haven't got a clue what to buy, apart from Amtrak for example.

Could someone please advise me which locos and cars I should be looking at re that region and assuming the present day. I'd be grateful for any suggestions and ideas.

Thanks -- David.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Great Northern or Burlington Northern?

One of many possible options is "Great Northern" when they ran from Vancouver/Winnipeg, Portland-Seattle to Chicago. Some notable passenger trains listed in "Classic American Railroads" by Mike Schafer (ISBN 0-7603-0239-1) include:

Cascadian (Seattle-Spokane, Wash)
Empire Builder (Chicago-Seattle/Portland)
Oriental Limited (Chicago-Seattle/Portland)
Western Star (Chicago-Seattle/Portland)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
David: You've got a pretty big "region" to work with: most of the US west of Chicago.
Most of the passenger trains will be Amtrak. Probably double-decker Superliners and those pointy-nosed diesels. But the are also commuter trains -- an F59 and set of Athean's Bombardier cars. Also Chicago commuters. (December Model Railroader has 6 pages on this.)