Passenger car?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I'm looking at getting some passenger cars so can anyone tell me why some are call "heavyweight" cars?
  2. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

Heavyweights came into widespread use in the 1910's. They were the first all-steel passenger cars in the US and it showed. They literally were very heavy by passenger cars standards. Later on lightweight materials became cheaper, and the streamlined passenger cars that took their place had steel frames and aluminum bodies and were much lighter allowing for longer trains.

In terms of the models, this won't make any difference. An HO scale heavyweight passenger car weighes the same as a streamlined car of the same length.
  3. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

like kanawha said,its exactly what the name states.the cars themselves are steel causing them to be VERY heavy compared to the wooden cars.its kinda funny i didnt know either till someone told me the reasoning was right in front of my face! :D --josh
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The identifying features of a heavyweight are the riveted sides with prominent joins in the metalwork. You'll find that a lot of them ride on six-wheel trucks because of the weight; in the streamline era 8-wheel trucks were rarer, usually only under cars like diners. Some heavyweights were given cosmetic upgrades to be run with streamlined cars.
    Many railfans felt that the heavyweights gave a smoother ride.
  5. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

I was told that to make the car ride smoother (ie not bounce around the tracks) the 'heavyweight' cars not only were steel but also have concrete poured into the floor.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I don't think they were heavyweights, but we rode some ex-Hiawatha cars on an excursion last year; you could tell the floor was concrete because there were holes in it -- some of them all the way through!