Parallel tracks

jambo101

I know its a noob question but i've never been able to successfully get the tracks to be parallel after installing a turnout,the small curved piece of track that comes with the turn out runs the turned out track off at an angle and up till now i've had to use a small piece of Flex Trac to get the tracks parallel.So whats the trick?:confused:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Depends on the geometry of the turnout (i.e. which one from which manufacturer are you using?).

You've already discovered the most commonly used "trick"...

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

You don't have to use the small section of curved track that comes with the turnout. Use flex track to make a very gentle "s" curve off of the turnout into a parallel track at the center to center distance you need. Using the short section of curved track when making parallel tracks just makes the "S" curve tighter.

Pooh Bah
I think that the turnout is 2/3 of a curve and the short piece is the other 1/3 so that the turnout can replace a full curve, but work in a shorter situation if required. Maybe 2 short pieces? or take another turnout, put it on the end and draw around it, and then lay flextrack.

Nomad

Jambo, the best way to get the tracks parrallel is with the flex track. The piece that comes with the turnout is to sharp a radius. Here's a turnout with 2 tracks spaced at 2"s. Making the curved piece longer will ease the dreaded "S" curve.

Loren

Attachments

• *.jpg
    *.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 18

jambo101

Thanks guys,guess i'll stick with the flextrac.I dont understand why they put that piece of curve in the package if it doesnt make the tracks parallel,it seems to send the track off on a 10 degree angle.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I think you are talking about the Atlas Snapswitches (turnouts). THey are a curved radius turnout, and the 1/3 18" radius piece is there to help you complete the circle/oval of track.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Thanks guys,guess i'll stick with the flextrac.I dont understand why they put that piece of curve in the package if it doesnt make the tracks parallel,it seems to send the track off on a 10 degree angle.

It is there because the turnouts are made for train set use, not for a serious model railroad. If you buy Atlas Custom Line, Shinohara, or Peco the turnouts don't come with additional track. I don't like Atlas turnouts, but that is just my personal preference. Just use flex track, and don't feel you need to use everything that comes in the package with the turnout.