Parallel Build:'s WWII US Airborne & WWII German Army

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by rickstef, Apr 2, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I am about to embark on an ambitious project.
    I will be building both soldiers from

The US Airborne Soldier and German Army Soldier

Certain friends of mine, whom I chat regularly with, convinced me to start building the Airborne soldier, I inturn upped the ante, and suggested I build both kits at once.
    Of course the friends they are, enthuastically encouraged me to do so.

Some information on the kits,
    Scale 1:3 for each
    Height Airborne 59 cm
    Height Wehrmacht 61 cm
    For those still stuck in US/Standard measure mind set, both of these are right around 2 feet in height.

So, yes they will be big.

I have already planned the bases for these, 8x10 inch wood bases, with a cobblestone base(found a 12x12 sheet of a cobblestone pattern in the scrapbooking section)

I hope everyone will welcome the experience

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Oooo weee! Yes, sir! This is going to be a real winner, Rick!

These two look like they will be a lot of fun to put together!
    I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for updates!

Thanks for sharing this build with everyone, Rick!
    This is going to be a treat to watch!

3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm looking forward to these - it will be interesting to see how your experience compares to that of my recently completed 3DPaper knight.
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Your Suit of Armor is what inspired me to dust off my Airborne Soldier and build it.

Question: Did you score each of the limbs and torso parts? I am thinking about trying to keep them unscored and trying to roll them to shape.

5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Hi Rick,

I'm honoured :)

I scored all the lines. While I was building Aru (which I will try to get back to soon) I rolled the arms rather than score them, but I wasn't really pleased with the results. I also had to reshape the ends of the parts to account for the smooth roll rather than the steps of the 'score and fold' method. While re-trimming them was easy enough on a small model like Aru where I wasn't using the tabs, I didn't think I could do a good job on a larger scale, and where I was using tabs. I'm just not that good ;)
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking forward to this one! Pretty ambitious there - must have been some crazy person that suggested building both at once :)
  7. Claudio

Claudio Member

Good Luck!
    Are you going to build them at the same time or one by one so to make treasure of the first experience?
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Claudio, both at the same time
  9. Very ambitious Rick! I like the look of rolling rather than scoring, but what might happen is that you will have to join a cylinder into an hexagonal opening. Not a huge problem actually. I got around it by pinching the cylindrica part at the glue tab notches. So my cylinder became a matching hexagon for the last quarter inch or so. You may run into this when you mate the legs and arms to pelvis and shoulder, but I think it'll be worth it if you go this way - looks much more natural.

Looking forward to your thread.
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Well, I have started, cut out all the parts for the arms of the german soldier.

Hoping for some good time building when I get home from work today.

Tuesdays are my main TV night, so I rarely do anything then.

I am hoping also to complete the arms of the Airborne soldier.

I will keep the updates coming

11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi All,

the past two evenings been fruitful for me, managed to score, cut out, shape, edge color and glue the entire right arm.
    I was hoping for a bit more progress, but I am happy with the arm.

For those who remember my build of the MB Creation Cobra and Elephant, I am doing the same again, I am stuffing the arm with the cheap TP, the idea for this originated from Peter Crow, Thanks again Peter.

More, as usual, to come

12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Good looking arm, Rick! Soon, you'll have body parts laying all over the place!

13. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Looking great!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Chris, that is the idea when I get really rolling on the other parts.

Peter, Thanks

15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Looking Good Rick, The texturing on the 3Dpaper kits is very good.
  16. cbg

cbg Member

I'm intrigued with these kits and the price seems about right for what you get. I imagine these figures could be scaled down as well for armor applications?

Perhaps 3Dpaper will add an aviator or two to its line.

As you progress, it would be fun to see the G.I. torso on the Wehrmacht bottom half and vice-versa ;-)

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That looks really good! Those are some great textures on there :) Nice job Rick :D
  18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

You would need a bigger scanner bed, as the sheets are roughly 10 inches wide, and some 12 inches or so long, and the parts go to the edge of the sheets.

I could see the model as a smaller scale, but I would like to see a line of them from 3D Paper.

As for the Aviator, I would like to see one too. WWII or modern would be cool with me

19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'd like to see one of Gunny from Mail Call.
  20. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

This past evening was a good one for me, got the left arm done of the German Soldier.

Now on to the American arms.