Paperhammer FTW!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Lord Manimal, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

I'm new here obviously, and I got a silhouette SD paper cutter a few weeks ago. I liked it so much, I took 2 weeks of vacation time, just to learn it, and now I'm cranking out robo files left and right. In the past 3 days I've made two drop pods, 4 rhino's, and an ork trukk with it. Crazy, crazy cool machine; you gotta look into it. Guys over at sent me this way, figured I'd check out the site.
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

What the devil is this papercutter you speak of? :twisted: I'm always looking for tools to make things easier.
  3. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

Aha! Another interested customer! lol

I don't sell em, but if you ebay for silhouette SD you can see the machine itself. A youtube user, and really nice guy from the forums by the name of squirmydad shows how easy it is. I'm at work, so I can't post a link (not that I'm allowed to yet) but if you youtube "suirmydad" in his short video list, you can watch the machine in action cutting out some of onemonk's fantasy high elves.

edit: wanted to add more

Basically, you take an image file, upload it into the software that comes with the machine, and trace the drawing. Tweak a couple of settings, which litterally takes seconds, draw your perforation lines, and it even scores the model for you, by way of "dashed" perforations that are far superior to scoring the cardstock with a hobby knife, as the edges are nearly smooth. Very fast, and very easy. It opens up the ability to make things of "thickness" without having to use balsa wood, or plasticard. My drop pods for example are 100% paper, because I can layer exact, machine cut peices into 2.5mm sections; it's fantastic. It's far too time consuming to do by hand, when my machine can simply print up the pages via my printer (the silhouette sd is not a printer although it looks like one) then feed em into the silhouette, and hit "cut" from the software. Couple of minutes later you just "pop" the peices off of the carrier sheet, machine cut to perfection, perforations included, and begin assembling. I haven't picked up my hobby knife in about 3 weeks now. lol
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Sounds Awesome!

Better and cheaper than the Robocraft... hmmm...
  5. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

What will they think of next - cutter head or laser on this thing? And can you still slice your thumb open with it (or are we talking something out of "Saw?"

6. VectorSigma

VectorSigma New Member

Well then, I have to go google the price on this thing now!

If Squirmydad uses it, it's probably solid. :)
  7. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

Nope, looks like a little printer is all. Blades are crazy tiny, and cost around 8 to 12$ depending on your supplier. However, I've cut well over 300 pages now on one blade it shows no sign at all of being dull. All the same I bought 5 replacement blades, as I'm a very heavy user, doing a lot of prototyping etc.
  8. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

Any chance you might distribute the "cutfiles"? I see myself raiding my wife's scrapbooking room...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.