Papercraft U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vortex_4200, Jul 31, 2008.

1. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

I think the scale was 1/1000!

SEBRET Member

3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

My suggestion would be to try the Enterprise again. In the spirit of learning from your mistakes, there's no better way to learn than to try it again.

I once built a model aircraft from a well known designer, and throughout the build I was very dissatisfied with how it was turning out. I decided to plug along just to have a first run at the whole thing, thinking I would build it again once I learned all the problem areas. Once I finished the whole thing, AND did some edge coloring to hide all the little white spaces that were showing, it looked great! It wasn't perfect, but I ended up very happy with it, and still am to this day.

Sometimes card models take a lot more patience, and careful fitting. Don't be afraid to tell us exactly what happened or what you think went wrong. We may have suggestions on how to fix it, redo it, or do it differently.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I agree with SJ. The best thing to do is start again. Learn from your mistakes.

More than likely you will have a better version built in the end.
  5. clif52

clif52 Banned

There are several Star Trek shuttles out there in paper. Maybe a simpler shuttle would get you started. I tried several paper models before I could get going. I think I backed up from the models and made several of the little Hako Clone figures until I got used to cutting, folding, rolling, touching up edges, and glueing. I too still get overwhelmed with some of the models and have to take a break. I've been trying to build Cannon's Tiger for a friend for several months. I get started and have to take a break to figure out just how it goes together. Take your time, start simpler, and have fun with it.
  6. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Thank you so much for the advice.... maybe that was the biggest part of what I did wrong and maybe got a little overwhelmed.... I have built TONS of plastic models over the years, but I have to say I think the papercraft model are so much cooler, I guess it's because it is more hands on and much more personal, so I do want to learn from my mistakes and really enjoy it and really have fun at it! :cool:
  7. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Once more into the fray

Well as I have listed in the last few post, I had a bit of a disaster with my construction of the TOS Enterprise, well after a month of thinking about it (and a few home projects thanks to my wife :mrgreen:) I am going to start again and with lots of hindsight and the encouragement from everyone who had been watching my progress, this time I will not fail!
    I'll keep all posted... talk to you later.

8. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hey Vortex_4200,
    Where in the assembly process did disaster strike? (I ended up building 6 of these the design process).

E-mail me a photo and I'll help you if you want.

Thanks for giving it another go!

Best Regards,
  9. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

It happened when I tried to assemble the warp pylons to the main hull, the starboard one was perfect, the port one took on a really wierd angle that I could not correct and made a mess of the whole thing, I am assembling the mount for the warp pylons right now and once it is dry I will look at what I may have done wrong the first time.
  10. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hi Vortex_4200,
    I also had issues learning to build this area. I found the secret is to make sure everything dries completly before putting it a together. If you dry fit the positioner in place first and insert the pylons to hold it in position, things will line up better. You have a little wiggle room to fine tune things.

When you are satisfied with the alignment, then apply SMALL glue drops inside the hull where the positioner touches to tack it into place. Don't glue the pylons in place yet! That will happen later after building and joining the warp nacelles to the pylons.

Have patience and let th small tacks dry first before adding a little more glue to the inside junction. Be careful not to use too much glue or the joint will become soggy and distort, possibly causing the ink on the outside to run as well.

These little tricks are hard to write up in the assembly manual because it makes the procedures very wordy and boring.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,
  11. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

I have done the dry fit and so far so good, I almost have the stardrive section done and will move on to the primary hull shortly, thanks for the advice and trust me if I have questions well... if you hear a loud HELLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!! and it sounds like it's from oklahoma.... well it must be me. :thumb:
    Thanks for the help, once I get back to the point I abandoned the first one I will post some pic's