Paper VideoGame

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by Claudio, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Claudio

Claudio Member

Hi all,

I started an experiment: a videogame where everything can be built again in paper: vehicles, buildings, terrains, objects, etc.

It is a free project and everyone can take part freely uploading 3d models, textures, sheets to be printed, etc.

I am at the very beginning, so the first file uploaded is only a pre-alfa test to see what it happens.

I need the help of all of you: testers, designers, idea givers, other.:thumb:

See the thread here.

Comments welcome.
    Ciao, Claudio:wave:
  2. Claudio

Claudio Member

It is not so easy to add new features...:cry:

So far the car has a great F430 sound and a watch speedometer semi-transparent on screen. Next feature is to count the laps.

Claudio :wave:
  3. Claudio

Claudio Member

As promised, the laps are now counted...
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Sound great...any picture on mesh you extract from video game?

5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

P: what formats? --If it's blender you're using then I'm sure .blend would be alright... but what else?
  6. Claudio

Claudio Member

Thank you for the questions... I don't know if I can understand them and I will try to answer you:

@NOBI: every model you see on the Game can be replied on paper. Among the files there are the sheets you can print, cut, fold and glue. The textures for the game are taken directly from that sheets, so it is incredible easy to have the same environment played in reality. :mrgreen: The current release has for example the body of the car ready to be printed (I need to organize better the exe file so that you can see how it works). Once you know where the sheet is, you can simply change that sheet and automatically you can change the texture of the car. You can do this then for every other model of the game.

@Lex: the current Game is in .exe format (Windows executable) and .blend (for universal use). If your OS is a Linux or Mac you can then play without any problem (the only limitation is to use the same version of Blender and Python that produced the Game, but you can create the executable for your own OS for future intents). The models are imported from several formats, mainly from 3ds or obj including the textures that must be in printable format (printable format means that every piece doesn't touch the other and the flaps are included).

I hope to have answered to your questions. If you like to see your model included in next release, please send them to me. You can also request some features that I can take into account for future.

Bye, Cla :wave:
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks! I asked the question because sometimes format conversion loses the texture on the model... ;)
  8. Claudio

Claudio Member

Finally I managed to store the Best Lap!

Let me know your Best Lap! (mine is 34.71 secs).

Bye, Cla
  9. Frank Kelle

Frank Kelle Member

Hello Claudio! Sorry, I just found your threat :(, but I am loading you game in the moment and will try my best to "beat your aim"
  10. Claudio

Claudio Member

I am waiting for your input! :)

In few days a new car will be released to replace the current. I am drawing the F430 in a very low poly with simplified textures. You can however print the textures and build it. Everything is already done for you (unfolding and glue flaps). I am not so skilled in making cars, so forgive me :(

If you like this project you can anyway upload your model and texture.

See you soon, Claudio
  11. Claudio

Claudio Member

Hi all,
    the new car is ready in Miracle colors:

This is a quite low poly model, easy to build and to be inserted into the game. You can download the Miracle version (tires excluded).

If some of you desire to give a contribution to the Game, a Vanilla Sheet is available too. I would appreciate a lot a better texture and/or a different release on this basis.

Find here the link: F430

You can play with this new car inside the Game. Have fun!

12. Claudio

Claudio Member

Hi all,
    here a couple of new images from the City Race. Same rules as before, but with a new track into City streets. Several things have to be still defined, but the car can run among those skyscrapers. I need to build the borders of the pavement and then I will upload the whole. Other skyscrapers textures from you are welcome!:thumb:

13. Claudio

Claudio Member

The City Race test is available for download!

You can race among the streets quite freely, but if you want to get the BestLap I suggest you to follow the yellow arrows...

If you complete the lap in under 50 secs, then you will get a missile launcher and you can hit the numerous oil barrels crossing your way! The path is not completed and I'm working on them.

14. Claudio

Claudio Member

Again a new Release (0.19)! Only an exe version, because my connection currently is dramatically low (1KB/s !!!). At the end of August also the .blend file will be available.

This new release adds some nice sounds like the explosion of the barrel. A must have!

You will fight then against a giant oil barrel :thumb:!

15. Claudio

Claudio Member

Release 0.22 is up.

Damage body and tires system applied with Pit Stop to restore them. New MENU. New signs.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Nice! Does this support Metasequoia models?
  17. Claudio

Claudio Member

Not directly: you need to export your model in one of the formats shown by the image herewith attached, and then import it in Blender.

Let me know if you like to test it.:thumb:

Attached Files:

18. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Sure thing! The only bad thing is I have this tendency to build really freaking complex models which may slow the game down. :rolleyes:
  19. Claudio

Claudio Member

For games you need low-poly models. Textures are then demanded to give the 3d view thanks to bump maps or the more modern normal maps.

Anyway, with only few high poly models the game could run the same.