Paper to Plastic Star Trek Enterprise.

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by CJTK1701, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The detailing is fantastic!
    Very nice work!

2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thanks. that's the prototype mock up. Some of the parts will be cast from those parts and others will be molded from newer, scratch built parts.

We'll offer several different versions of decals and more than one way to assemble it. We've looked at the Matt Jefferies original designs and have added some variations to the kit. You'll have more than one way to skin this vessel. Essentially you'll be getting several kits in one. The owner won't have to stick to one particular formula.

We want to build expandability and variation into as many kits as possible.

The site is still a work in progress, as is the forums, but we're getting there.
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Banned! Again!

I posted a link to this thread in another forum and within 20 mins I was banned and I'm guess ing my thread was deleted. I don't know, because it appears that my IP is being blocked.

Nice huh?

How do you get the word out on your kit, when you get shut down virtually every where you go?

I'm at a total loss here.:cry:
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I still do not understand this.
    Are you posting on "Model haters club" or something?:???:

5. SteveM

SteveM Member

Boo hoo, where's my violin? I've seen what you have been doing and you know why you have been banned. You have been burning a lot of bridges behind you.
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well, that's your view of it Steve. The fact is, I got along just fine, at the forums, until I announced a kit, then things started to change. I'm not sure that you are aware of everything that has went on behind the scenes, nor are you aware of the type of e-mails and PM's I've recieved.

I've been accused of a lot of things I'm not guilty of, being a recster is not the least of the false, baseless, unsubstantiated claims against me and my company.

I've had people take my ideas and the very verbage I was going to use, to sell my craft and hand it over to the competition. These were details that were discussed in "Private Messages."

I've had my ship, my company, and my person attacked and sat for many days and took it. A person can only take so much abuse, before they fire back.

As stated earlier, I intended this ship to be in a different media and intended it to only be for myself, but as I got frustrated with anothers lack of production, I decided to take it in a different direction and make it myself. It was at this point that I started getting letters and PM's asking me to make a kit.

After I announced I would make a kit and what price I would sell it for, the feces began hitting the oscillating device.

I asked a certain website owner what they would charge and what was the process, for putting out a new kit. That owner wanted 35% of every sale! For a craft that I was trying to get out for $100.00. That would raise the overall cost by 1/3rd and that cost would have to be passed on to the customer.

I told that person that I couldn't do that to the fellas, that I had promised to bring the ship in for as close to 100 US as possible, but I did offer to make a "Special" and sell only through them. The "Special" was supposed to be a three ship kit......... Sound familiar?

I tried to go through another vendor and sell exclusively through them, but they already had a deal with someone else and didn't want to deal.

That other kit came out and was well...... the pictures speak for themselves.

What I have been up to, is trying to put out the best kit I can. I've shown my mission statement, made it a point to put customer service first and offered a warranty on the product. Something many of the other vendors will not do.

In the process, I've had lies told on me, been harrassed to the point of distraction, had my friends harrassed and told that if they didn't sever ties with me, that they would be persona non grata as well. I've had people in the forums tell a string of lies about me and spread false rumors and accusations. I've been accused of denegrating other products that are not even on my radar. REL's Enterprise for example.... I've never said anything about that ship......? I've been threatened with a C&D order and had every thread I've started shut, locked, deleted and I've been banned, from virtually every modeling forum.

Do you know why? Don't believe the hype and the lies and the rumors... I believe the biggest reason I've been treated in such a manner is because.... are you ready.........?

Because I've done in a little over two months, what others have talked about for over a year, or more.

Because, I'm charging the minimum on the kit and trying to give the fans what they want......

Because, I wont bow to people that think they run the garage kit world and or the Sci Fi modeling community......

Because, I think for myself and do things my own way.....

Because, I didn't run to the other vendors and get thier blessings....

Because, I did the vast majority of the work myself. I didn't asked someone else to do the decals, I didn't ask someone else to make the electronics...... Actually, I did, but they gave me the shoulder, so I took a free circuit that someone else had done and asked thier permission to use it....

Because, I made it a point to show the entire process, so that others could replicate it.......

Because, I didn't get my data and reference material from someone who thinks he is the only one that can do an Enterprise......

Because, I had been saying for months that "There is more than one way to skin and Enterprise."

Because, no matter how many lies were told, no matter the false accusations, no matter the abuse....... I have persisted in putting this kit together...........

Because, after a good deal of abuse and lies, I fired back....

Because, I have inspired others to get into the garage kit thing.....

Because, I don't give power to control what I do, to established "Wanna be Powers that be."

Because, I've had the audacity to prove that ANYBODY can do this and it's not rocket science, it's not some mysterious lost art form and you don't have to charge HUGE sums of money.

I think that's it in a nutshell. I think that is why the established persons who have controlled the fora and the business and the cost, see competition and see that maybe the face of the business may change.

Maybe that's why there's been so much controversy, why people have taken it upon themselves to assasinate my character, etc....

Just a thought, but if you know know all of the circumstances and all of the background info....

The funny thing is that I've seen more than one begin to pattern thier new businesses off of my business model.

I'm solely about the customer. I've delayed production on this, for the express purpose of making it the best kit possible and backing my work up with customer service.

How would you like to pay $200.00 for a kit and recieve a flimsy kit, full of bubbles, with substandard resin, poorly done detail, etc.....etc..... and be told that you are suck with it? No refunds, no returns? You're stuck with it.

I fully intend to avoid all of that. the products that I put out will be strong, of high quality and I will back them up!

I never wanted to go into the business, but after months of the treatment I've recieved..... I'm working on this project for all I'm worth.

Every industry needs competition and every industry needs a Maverick. The competion will either meet the changing face of the industry, or they will fold. I have no intentions of quitting, disappearing, or giving up.

The more that people lie on me, come out against me, threaten me, abuse me..... The more I'm going to put into the company.

This is good news for the modeler, bad news for those that have had a strangle hold on the industry.

That is my last word on the subject. I can't wait to show new pictures of the ship and I can't wait for the ship to get to market..

"Something wonderful is coming!" Dave Bowman 2010 :-D

7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Hello folks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Below are some updated shots of the parts of the USS Sinclair.

Please take note of the thickness of the parts. Some of the pictures have little black dots on them, these are the proposed cut lines.

I'll have some more pictures, of some of the detail pieces soon.

Also, the pylons are being reworked to add more detail and the lower saucer section is being repoured and having detail added to it, as well.

I'm also working on a custom stand that will be sold separately.

Please share these pictures with anyone who might be interested and if you have any questions, feel free to ask, or PM me.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!:grin:
  8. psocks

psocks New Member

Nice kit dude. Looks great. Shame people ..........yes I am refering to you "Stalker" Steve (sorry I do not believe in being subtle) need to hunt you down on another forum...
    So the guy wants to give something nice, cheap as possible, and help others get started in the hobby.......I can see only one jerk here it ain't the guy building the model!:twisted:
  9. SteveM

SteveM Member

Guess you don't believe in checking your facts either. I did not "hunt him down". I do participate in other forums, and have for a while, and not for purposes of "stalking" this guy. I do wish him success with this model. I just don't offer any sympathy for his treatment on some other forums.

oh yeah, merry christmas to you too :-|
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

And so it continues....... This is how it began. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This all began, because I confronted someone on an issue.

Why do people get personally offended when there is a conflict, or disagreement between two people that has nothing to do with them?

Has anyone at any of these forums, this one excluded, thought for themselves, or have they just jumped on the bandwagon and vented at me and my kit, without knowing all of the facts.

I sincerely appreciate the mods and admins at this site. They have been mature and adult about the whole thing.

I sincerely appreciate that.

And some people wonder why more kits don't get produced and why companys never get to market with thier products. Who would want to go through hell, to produce a kit for people that rake them over the coals from the begining????

Maybe Steve, you don't know the whole story. Habe I done anything to you personally, or are you baseing you oppinions on those of the "Collective"

Personally, I think for myself and don't buy into the "group think" thing.

How many times was I attacked and said nothing? How many times were my threads locked and deleted?

Let's look at some of the original threads shall we?

I think if you look at those threads and others, you will see how I was hounded relentlessly. The moderator of that forum allowed me to be called a recaster and allowed my product to be sabotaged for days. Oh sure, he seems to play nice on the surface, but I recieved a warning, from the very moment I stepped into the forum, yet the man who called me a recaster was allowed to harrasse me for days.......?

This all began in another forum, where my ideas were given over to others. For you to come in here and cast dispersions on me, without knowing all of the facts, is just an example of how you, like others have bought into the hype and group think mentality!

I can't even show links to where it all began, because those threads are gone.

This is a perfect example of what has gone on from the begining and it's been nothing short of a collective targeting of a new vendor, in attempt to stop production of my ship.

I'm sick to death of it and really wish the controversy would come to an end.

As I have stated many times..... Judge the product, for what it is. Judge the customer service for what it becomes, but stop the spreading of lies, rumors, innuendo and baseless accusations!

11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Order info, Change in sale policy.

I've discussed this with my associates and there is some new news.

There will only be a limited first run of this model. Anyone interested in this kit, please send me a PM. After this linited run, we will only sell this
    kit on ebay, or as a build up.

Originally this kit was going to be made available to the general public, but that has changed.

No money will be taken at this time, but I will need a letter of interest,
    so that I can compile a list of interested parties.

You will be notified when this kit is ready, at which point we will set up payment arrangements. Upon reciept of payment, the kit will be sent.

We are sure that when word gets out concerning the quality of the kit, there will be many who will have wished they had bought one.

As it stands, when the limited first run is complete, the only way to get one will be to get in line on ebay.

We may do a second run, at some future date, but that is not definate.

Sorry, but that's the deal. The total will be $135.00 + S&H.

Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays.
  12. SteveM

SteveM Member

I have not attacked your kit. I have not even attacked you. Most forums have a "what happens elsewhere, stays elsewhere" rule, so when you bring up here that you've been banned somewhere else, I was "less than sympathetic". I did not point to specific threads, did not accuse you of specific actions. Just noted that the notes I have read of yours elsewhere tend to end up offending a lot of people and the moderators of those groups. Whether the accusations against you are true or false doesn't really matter. It is your reaction to them ends up "burning bridges"; alienating people that had previously been supporting you.

Forgot one:
  13. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

You know, if the subject was "plastic to paper" I could understand it being in this forum. Seems like a lot of wasted forum space for a non-paper product with accompanying (no value) verbage. Perhaps this thread could be closed and/or deleted and let plastic go where it belongs...
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The subject is paper to plastic. Like virtually every other item on this planet, it was first envisioned on paper. This ship started as a set of prints from Alan Sinclair and some of the main components were made directly from Ron Caudillo's paper model, resized.

I thought this would be interesting for all of the paper modelers here and would be one example of how their models could be turned into another medium.

The title of this forum is "Extended Mediums for Paper" and I think it is still apprapo.

I don't feel there is a need to shut down the thread, but you're right in that this thread needs to be brought back on topic.

To that end, I will have some more pictures of detail parts soon and will not continue to justify myself to my detractors.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Personally. Bringing up the subject of being protested and keeping the notion alive that you are a Pariah elsewhere only gives you baggage. Dump the negativity and self validation. Reassert the mindframe that what you are doing is enjoyable and that a business is the result of your exploits.

Just keep in mind that this community is a paper-centric community who enjoys scale building in all forms. We are not here to discuss other forum's policies and members, especially in any negative ways which would push them away.

If anything, we want to pull closer other communities to help enlighten them to how fun this hobby is without have to mortgage your home. For myself, I am a wargamer who dealt with scale objects all the time. Having access to cheap but detailed items cuts costs and makes me a happy camper.
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I guess I should just stay above the fray and let all of the accusations go and allow these people to show themselves for what they are right?

Sounds good to me.

To that end, here are the recent pictures.

As you can see, each piecw is handcrafted and measured directly to the sized Alan Sinclair blueprint.

These parts are soft on detail, because they are the Pilot version parts.

This is the working model I'm using in the build up and to mate the new parts to. This is made of fiberglass and is not as smooth as the Vacuum formed parts.

Below are a couple of shots of the re-poured lower saucer section. This was poured from the original, first pull, from the handcrafted master.

The reason for this was to get a stronger buck and to be able to add detail, without destroying the master.

I would like to ask a couple of questions of the modeling community, if I may.....

If you re-cast anything that you did not personally hand craft, then that makes you a recaster, right?

Say you mold and recast parts from an Unobtainium, "Studio Scale Model" and sell a kit and call it yours, then you're a recaster..... Right?

Or say you make molds of a Klingon D-7 "Studio Model" and you sell that as your own work...... That means you are a recaster, right?

I want to assure everyone, that every part on this ship is directly from my own work. I've listed my sources and have given credit where applicable.

Just wanted to get that on the record.:grin:

Also, I'd like to note that even though I took a different approach on the saucer section, for this ship, I believe that Ron's paper model could have been used to make the entire ship. My hat is off to Ron, kudos on his fine work.

BTW, as an aside. One of the things I got for Christmas was a "Davinci Kit" this kit haa paper model of the Duomo. I'll get that built and show it as soon as possible.

Finally, I've got a resized version of Ron's bridge, paper model that I'll be building soon. Has anyone here built that? Ron resized it to 1/25 for me and I'm looking forward to getting it printed up on 11" X 17" card stock.

Whoot! We're havin fun now!:grin:
  17. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

CJTK1701, I wish I could afford it, because as a TREKKIE, I love this model and would defintely buy one.(or more!)

I am curious about the enlarged Bridge. Was that a custom job or is it available to others??
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Dnlgtr, I wish I could make it cheaper, I really do, but since I'm not going to be able to get the word out, I'm going to loose on the numbers. At $135.00, if I can't get the numbers, I'm selling at a loss. You see, I've had some help on the casting side of this and those people have to be paid and the electric bill has to be paid. That's the primary reason I had to change the policy.

Perhaps I can make some payment arrangements with you.....?

As for the bridge, I see no reason not to release it to the public, but I will have to ask Ron, first.
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Dnlgtr and everyone else, I've got Ron's 1/25th Bridge, 1/50th Bridge, additional viewscreens, assembly intructions and some Star Trek true type fonts, ready for hosting. They should be loaded up on my site soon, at which point I'll post a link. Should I post a thread in the Sfi Fi forum as well? Also, I hope to have the various versions of Alan Sinclairs blueprints up soon.

These will all be free for the community. I hope to have many other freebies on my site as time progresses.

20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The Bridge.

Here's a DL link to Ron's 1/25th bridge and some fonts by him as well. I start a new thread in the Sci Fi forum, but wanted to make sure it was available here as well.

Edit: Ron asked me to note that even though this is just a resize of his original model, it is still a beta build. Anyone who builds this, please show some pictures. I plan on having this printed and building it over the weekend.

Please let me know if you have any build problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.