Paper to Plastic Star Trek Enterprise.

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by CJTK1701, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Greetings all. I have been lurking here for some time, but was recently asked to sign up by Mr. Caudillo.

I recently built a 1/350th Starship Enterprise from paper, based on Ron's model and the Alan Sinclair blueprints.

I'm changing domians and don't have any pictures for you at the moment, but I will have very soon.

This model is 32.5" long and is in scale with the Polar Lights Refit.

I used expanding foam to fill the nacelles and engineering section, to stiffen them and provide for support.

But that's only where things begin. After I got the first parts completed I covered each part with fiberglass, after a couple of coats of glass, I sanded everything down and primered all of the parts. I then used those parts to make molds. These molds were used to create casting masters for vacuum forming. I have sent the masters off and will be using the vacuum formed parts and some resin cast parts to make a kit.

I'm not here to hype my kit, I just wanted to tell you how I used your favorite medium to make a scale model out of styrene.

When I get my site back up, I'll post some pics.

I'd really like to know how to use the software to make these models as this little exercise has got my mind whorling with ideas. Any advice, tips, or tricks are welcome.

I'm hooked on paper!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow............ you better not tell that to the "plastic" community........... they may burn you at the stake:grin: :twisted:

I for one can't wait to see the pictures!

I just went through a thread where a guy made a Death Star speaker............ mdf, expanding foam, and fiberglassed the whole sold on eBay about a year ago. Cool process.

3. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Awesome! So this is a 1/350th scale TOS Enterprise? Will you be posting this on the SSM forum?

4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

They've already tried to burn me at the stake.

You want pictures? You got em. :)

Here's the Engineering section and the nacelles, as you can see they are Ron's paper model resized.

Here is the nacelle that I enlarged.

The Engineering section.

Here's the layout of the saucer section.

These are the basic supplies I've used.

A pylon set up.

The BC deck.

The lower half of the saucer section.

The first fiberglass parts.

Some of the physical parts line out with the blueprints.

There's plenty more to show, as soon as I get my website back up.
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

No, unfortunately I will not be showing this on any of the modeling forums.

I'm working on my own site and forums, so That I wont be censored. There is a group that really don't want to see this kit a success.

I really don't want to get into the whole political morass, but it's been a nightmare trying put out this kit.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The best revenge is success!

Post the link when you get it I for one want to see this become a reality. Like you I see many possiblities for this process!
  7. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Ah. Understood. Well, I'd like to see this succeed. We need a TOS version to go with the refit. Keep us posted.

8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate that and I will make sure to post links. I just don't want to get into any trouble and frankly I've already got feedback from the first setup on this. It's going to be a great kit.

There will be a complete set of decals included in the kit, windows masks and the directions will be full sized colored photos, on CD and posted on the website. After this ship has run it's course, the decals will be a free upload for everyone.

I'm offering a lot of freebies on the CD and I'm offering a warranty.

I think that's part of the reason I've gotten the bad press. I'm not going through the established powers that be and I'm doing everything myself.

I can't wait to show you guys the kit. I'm also offering a free electronics circuit. You'll have to build it your self, but it will be there.

I've got plans for a lot of kits and this kit will be the starting point for several variations. I'm also working behind the scenes with some very good paople and hope to have 4-6 kits out in the next 4-6 months.

I'll be doing Mecha, LIS, ST and SW subjects and many more.

9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Will do. Below are a couple of pictures of the build-up process and some size relational examples. Comparison shots, if you will of existing kits.

Here is the basic casting process. I used the cheapest elements possible, in this project, to show that anyone can do this and you don't need a lot of expensive equipment to create a kit.

It's all a little messy, but that's the nature of sculpting and molding.

BTW, this is my first kit. I've never done this before and virtuall taught myself how to do it, while I was working on it.
  10. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Cool! Looks like a lot of work. I've wanted to build a large scale model of the Enterprise ever since I bought the FJ Designs blueprints back in the 70's. But, I just never knew where to start. Good Job!

11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thank you sir. I sincerely appreciate the kind comments.

I had originally envisioned this model as an aluminun machined Enterprise, but I spent months messing around with Mom and Pop machine shops. What you see is the result of my frustration. I got sick of getting nowhere and decided to take this route. I had the first ship components completely done in two weeks, but after that I ran into some unforseen delays. It's only taken me two months to go from concept to completion on this. I can't wait to get the prototype model done and show those who are interested.

I'll get some more pictures up today. I've started working on a build up using the fiberglass version. I've actually put two ships together in that time period, but I'm not ready to show the other one just yet.

That's why I figured 4-6 ships in as many months, because, in reality, if I start them at the same time I can come close to finishing them at the same time. I'm thinking that as I get my process down, I can probably speed everything up.
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

What are you using for your molds.............Latex?
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Nope, that's just plaster. Like I :)
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

16. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

I can certainly say I am looking very forward to this kit!!
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Keep on Trekkin!

^Thank you gentlemen, I will most certainly keep on Trekkin.

Some of the models I've seen around here are simply amazing. You people do some phenominal work.

I first discovered J.leslie's place some time back. I shared the links to as many Star Trek models as I could find and was surprised by the lack of enthusiasum on some peoples part.

I think this craft is very interesting and fun, not to mention cheap. I started to make a TOS paper model of the bridge about 5-6 years ago, off of the McMasters blueprints, but we moved and it was crushed and that was pretty much the end of that. When I found Ron's bridge model later I was in awe. I can't wait to get it built.

I've downloaded as many of these things as spark my interest and I'm not sure what to start next. It's either going to be Ron's bridge, or that magnificent Enterprise - E I found here.

When I look at the garage kits now, I often wonder if the got started as paper models.

This ship started as a set of blueprints and Ron's paper model and I've made sure to give credit where it is due.

I'm really look forward to the three foot ATAT model.
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

The Ship is on its WAY!

I just saw the first set of vacuum pulls from the vacuum caster and they are awesome! I don't want to toot my own horn, but these things are beautiful. I did the masters and sent them off for vacuum forming and they person that did the vac work did an awesome job.

Unfortunatly due to the amount of publicity myself and my company have unjustly recieved I can't show the pictures just yet. No one wants to recieve the types of e-mails and PM's I've recieved.

I can say this. This ship is going forward and it is gonna blow you away.

The parts are as thick as the PL Refit parts and from what I've seen, they look every bit as good as a professionally produced kit.

I'm sorry, but I'm so psyched about this that I just had to share the news.
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think this whole adventure of yours is great!
    I, for one, can't wait to see it's completion!
    I can't for the life of me, understand why anyone would think differently.

Maybe I am just ignorant of the big picture and if so, I would like to stay that way.
    I'm happy for you! Keep up the good work!

20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that. I'm waiting to hear from my vac caster and believe me, I can't wait to show you the pictures.

This ship will be the perfect addition to any modelers collection. I say that with all humility. If it were not for a couple of people that believed in me, I never would have gotten it finished. I felt like throwing in the towel several times.

I will definately show some pictures as soon as I can. After that, I'll continue with the build up.

I have to say though, the work I see around here is awesome inspiration for future kits and the ideas are endless.

You guys should really pat yourself on the back. You've been a major source of inspiration.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.