Paper Thickness

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by vwshark07, Aug 5, 2008.

1. vwshark07

vwshark07 New Member

I live in America and of course can only find paper by the pound however i need 1mm and 2mm think paper anyone know which paper to get to get those two thinknesses or where on the internet i can buy those two thicknesses thanks in advance
  2. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Have you tried the paper section of your local art store? You may find that the art supply store that will serve your needs best will be the one that the local Illustrators, professional artists, advertising agencies and marketing agencies frequent. That store will lean more to stocking various thicknesses of illustration board and presentation paper stock as apposed to glitter and finger paints.

Printing companies throw away more paper than you'll ever use your whole life. And they will often be happy to let you have a few sheets of the thicker card stock.. Someone I know who works at a print shop once gave me an entire 2 inch thick STACK of 20" x 30" 24pt sheet card stock. I'll die before I use it all up. : )

The treated cardboard support backs of tracing paper pads and many sketch pads are often the perfect thickness to use as support bracing inside your model.

Lastly, don't forget that you can always laminate to the thickness you need. In that case, I prefer to use 3M super 77 spray glue set to a wide spray.
  3. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

First of all, if you don't already have one, go pick yourself up a cheep digital caliper. You can get one from Harbor freight for under 20 bucks. You will find it very useful. Most of them provide measurements in both SAE and metric. With this you can measure the thickness of different papers and cardboard that you find laying around the house like cereal boxes, chipboard from the back of notpads, etc...

I agree with Outersketcher if worse comes to worse you can always laminate your own sheets. Just be sure to follow his recommendation of using the 3M-77 spray adhesive. It's the best, it may cost a bit more than the other brands but it's well worth it. I don't trust any other brand - A large can will last a long time.
  4. vwshark07

vwshark07 New Member

thanks for the help and yes i do have a digital caliper as i work at a lowes and can get things like that cheap i will be sure to look for the glue thanks again
  5. Biroka

Biroka Member

I have a question too regarding to this. Is there a difference between 80 gsm and 80 g/m2 thickness? Is there some difference like cm-inch or something.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

80 gsm and 80g/m2 are two different ways to say the same thing.
    80 grams per square meter.

SEBRET Member

looks like you beet me to the answer, lol
  8. Biroka

Biroka Member

Thank you! Been a bit unsure! So there is no other way you measure the thickness in? If there is would you mention a few more frequently used paper thicknesses (in both measuring systems or what they are). The dumb part of me asks these things...not if I wouldn't know :p
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The best way to measure thickness is to invest in a digital caliper like what has been mentioned before. They are very handy to have around.

I usually stack ten sheets together and measure that thickness to get an average per sheet reading. Always double check the final thickness of the lamination, though, in case the thickness is critical. :)
  10. oriod01

oriod01 Member

gsm to lbs

Is there some kind of conversion for gsm = lbs. Being that American paper is always defined in pounds?
  11. Thomas Meek

Thomas Meek New Member

There is not, as far as I know, a direct correlation between the "weight" of a paper and its thickness, or "caliper" as they say in the trade.

In addition, just to make it more confusing, there are different systems for assigning the weights of regular paper stocks and "card stocks."

I find it best to avoid all the confusion and just directly measure the sheets.
    I do not have a digital caliper, but I found an old mechanical micrometer at a sale awhile back and it works just fine, but if I wanted a new one I'd head for Harbor Freight. Cheaper.

Personally, I think it is not much trouble to laminate layers of paper to a particular thickness. I have found that if I use two layers of a bristol paper with one layer of my usual card stock gives me pretty close to 1mm.

You will have to work out your own combinations depending on what is available to you in your area. I find that such a layering yields a material that is noticably stronger than a single thicker layer. Not sure that matters, though...

For adhesives, I have tried "white glue" but find it troublesome and messy. Others swear by it. Spray glues also have their advocates, but I don't like them because they are expensive and smell bad. Now, I mostly use the large glue sticks. To each his (or her) own. You will have to experiment and find what you like best.

There is a type of glue stick on the market which goes on with a blue color that fades away with drying. This makes it possible to be sure that you are applying glue to the whole area to be laminated.

With any adhesive, but especially with the glue sticks, it is very important to press the layers firmly together before the glue dries.
  12. In a blunt answer NO. That's because the sizes used to define the paper weight in pounds is not constant. But some paper companies are now listing both the weight by pounds and the gsm on the packaging. I'm sure this as been linked in here before but once more won't hurt
  13. calinous

calinous New Member

Not to mention that (due to internal composition), different types of paper will have different densities (so you could have two types of paper with the same "pounds per ream" or "grams per square meter" index, but differing up to 20% in thickness
  14. noscire8

noscire8 New Member

Thick paper will crease

I suggest 120 lb paper so that it will not have a bad crease.
  15. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

I had a long evening some time ago, so I tried to measure all papers I had at hand at that time. The weight is written there, the thickness can be seen on the gauge ;)

Office standard.

A bit thicker, glossier kind.

Yet more...

Polish model (all are more or less the same)

Cookies, hmm... :)

There is no direct link between thickness and weight of paper, it depends always on the maker... There are 160g papers, which are rather thin, and vice versa.
  16. greymalkin

greymalkin New Member

What weight paper do you all use for making automata? The kind you can order on line from places like Rob Ives, Flying-pig, cool4cats and many others. Thank you for any advice.