Paper-Replika Rescaled ARC-170, Droids, and Pilots

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tirick, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Tirick

Tirick Member

This is somewhat of a duplicate thread from the other forum, although it is an amalgamation of three separate threads. One of the items here, the figures, will not be limited to this build, the pilots will be but the first release in a long planned model design.

This is one of my most ambitious builds to date, which is a rescale (to 1:50) of Julius Perdana's ARC-170 fighter, with the intention to add full landing gear, detailed cockpit and movable wings (to allow both flight and landed posing of the same model). I have already gone through the process of rescaling each page to suit, based on the stated width of 33.3 cm (which puts it somewhere around 1:68 ) and have assembled the main body of the fighter to begin the process of measuring and designing the cockpit.

I have run into a few fit up issues (I inverted the panel just in front of the rear belly-gun) and just recently checked the length against a scaling ruler, and am concerned that either my adjustment calculations are wrong, or the model is not exactly scaled as stated. I have a few samples below. I also may have to redo the Droid slot, as there is a massive difference between mine and the provided model.

The first build-up:

Notice the fit-failures in my build (I'll build modifications to fix/cover later):

Reprinted and refitted cockpit section:

Scaling problems:

The stated width of 33.3 cm required a 136% adjustment to theoretically match scale (I wanted 1:50, which requires a width total of 45.2 cm). However, the length of the ARC is supposed to be 14.5 meters. Looking at the scaled ruler, it comes just shy of 13. Also, the height is to be 4.78 meters, but comes shy of 4, leaving me at about 90% of the expected size. I have no intention of resizing now, and as you'll see below, the size will still work with the 1:50 pilot figurines.

Cockpit model-mockup:

Astromech Droids
    In the process of building up the fuselage, I decided to can the provided top portion of the Astromech and design my own. What you see here are the first development shots. It is quite a bit smaller than the one provided in the ARC-170 model (after scaling), but is accurately scaled against the R2-D2 design. It stands a little less that 2 cm tall. It's legs are sectional, and can be posed in a variety of ways.. I plan to add panel sheets for the modification-minded modelers, including bits for the various tools. I have finished modeling the remaining head styles (that I have any interest in doing), R2, R4, R5, R4. Note the bodies will be different in texture only.

Posable Pilot
    This, as alluded to in the top, is a long planned project. It is a natural progression of miniatures I designed over the last few year, posable Stormtrooper variants, which you can see shots of below. The entire set is called Paper Protagonist, and once I have fully established a release I'll likely create a separate thread. For now it is confined to the design of an ARC-170 pilot, although I have conceptualized a great many for the future. Some will be released freely, although the intent is to provide inexpensive, modular paper miniatures that still look good gaming.

The First designs:

Protagonist v1:

Protagonist v2 (with a 1:48 Tamiya soldier for scale):

ARC-170 Pilot with Astromech:

Roughly seated pilot:

At the moment I am in the midst of planning and modeling the landing gear. Initially I was not certain how I was going to handle it, but I've elected to fully model the mechanism, and allow it to be posed both up and down. I'll make a sleeve for pre-assembled modes to fit in and out of at will.

All of the designs, cockpit, pilot and astromech will be released once I am done. I have a serious shortage of time, so this will be a long build. Nevertheless, comments, advice are appreciated. I do not wish with my observations to detract at all from Julius' model, it is a stellar design with very good detailing.

If anyone who has assembled one of these to the stock size wishes to, I would appreciate the flight-line length of the model, nose to tail. I would like to understand if my GIMP print failed after scaling, or if the model was is in fact originally around 7.25 inches in length.

Tirick (Sean)
  2. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Good Idea

and at this time good realization :thumb:, despite the scale problems and the necessary additional details wall1

You are at the beginning of a good job. Just thinking of the same work done on X-Wing and Y-Wing fighters, and on the Millenium Falcon :confused::cool:

But please, for your family life, and forests survival, NEVER TRY THE SAME SCALE ON DARTH VADOR'S SUPER STAR DESTROYER NOR DEATH STAR 1 OR 2!!!sign1sign1

I'll follow your work
  3. Tirick

Tirick Member

Thank you, yes for my sanity's sake, no SSD's. The MF, well, maybe. I've started now three times, and have shelved every one. I am holding out until I get a few more models built and a few more designs under my belt.

Not giving up on that one.

That said, I've begun modeling the landing gear on the ARC, using a reference from the concept sketches for the general shape and layout of the mechanism. I hope to finish the model early this week and mock-up the build. I'm juggling a lot of modifications on this one, so I'm letting my muse rule for now.

Attached Files:

• LG1.jpg
      File size:
      34.9 KB
  4. mauther

mauther Active Member

The Stormtroopers are incredible!!! Cool!!!
  5. Tirick

Tirick Member

I'm very pleased that you like them! I have them uploaded at another site, if you are interested, please PM me and I'd be happy to send you a link.

I have finished modeling the ARC pilot extra parts, and the remodel (final) of the shoulder. While they are not textured, I hope to have the bits assembled this weekend. I'll send pics once I'm done (successful or not).
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

LOL. Tirick; in case you hadn't heard, the management's a wee bit different here now. Feel free to post the link to the 'other site'. :mrgreen:
  7. Tirick

Tirick Member

:D As a newbie I have little desire to rock the boat. I was not however referring to 'that' site, but rather a direct download site. My main site (before now), has gone essentially permanently. I do have the clone troopers here if you are a member.
  8. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Tirick: thanks for the share, nice stormtroopers:thumb: And continue the good job:wave::wave:

Ekuth: happy to have fresh air and new rules here :mrgreen::mrgreen: And glad to have you as a Pilot :wave::wave::wave:
  9. Tirick

Tirick Member

(For the benefit of those watching from, I apologize for the duplicate post)

Update: I've finished modeling the ARC Armour and helmet, and I am in the process of assembling another test build with the final shoulder model. I hope this is the last test build. I have a few tweaks to make yet but overall it is going quite well.

I've assembled all of the 'bits' and put the helmet together. Frankly, I was concerned with this one, as it is the smallest complex assembly I've designed (or put together). It has a diameter of about 5mm, with an final width of about 7mm. Overall I think it worked phenomenally. I hope to put the rest of test figures and armour together starting tonight and post pictures maybe by Wednesday. For now, here is a sneak peek at the helmet, by itself, with a Canadian penny for scale, and placed on the first ARC prototype figure. Obviously, it is not yet textured, and is missing the clear face shield.

Helmet #1

Helmet #2

Helmet #3

With Figure prototype #1

With Figure prototype #2

Attached Files:

10. Tirick

Tirick Member

(as before...)

Well, I've finished the last prototype and made all necessary modifications. All that is left is the dreaded... :rolleyes:...texturing. It will, as always, follow my muse, which is wayward at best. I hope to have the Pilot and R Unit complete and uploaded this month.

At any rate, enjoy the pics. The one directly loaded here is a comparison shot between the ARC Trooper costume and my mock-up prototype. Not a bad likeness, if I may say so... :D

At attention(full shot)

At attention(from left)

At attention(from right)

Climbing into the yet unmodified ARC:

From right

From left

Over the fuselage

Attached Files:

11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

If you don't mind a little constructive criticism, I would simply laminate a circle for the 'earmuffs' instead of trying to fold up a 3D object, because it's too small and the paper's too thick for it to look right.

However, this is mighty impressive construction! For something this tiny (it looks on the order of 1:48 scale), you've done a fabulous job making it look like a real person. :thumb:
  12. Tirick

Tirick Member

Thank you for the comments, and I always appreciate any advice Milleniumfalsehood, certainly that meant constructively!

On the prototype I tried building with tabs on the ring, which obviously built it up too much. On the final build I'll likely omit the tabs and see how it works. If not, I'll consider modifying to a more laminate build up.

The model is 1:50 actually (stands 3.7 cm tall (I use 1.8 meters as a 'standard' male height, which, I know, is a bit big)). I like 1:50 as a more 'modern' standard, as in not tied to Imperial measuring systems. It is really easy to calculate and nearly matches gaming scale (at least WotC 'scale').

Just you wait until I've finished this project, near to 'next' is a build up for a Kyle Katarn for your Moldy Crow (I'm not certain the 4% difference in scale will matter)!

13. Millenniumfalsehood

Considering I just went with what looked right, your figures should fit right in with the cockpit. :mrgreen:
  14. Tirick

Tirick Member

Not much progress on the fighter I am afraid; I was distracted by paper-replika's 1:20 Snowspeeder (which I promptly rescaled (1:50), printed and assembled...). I'm in the process of texturing the Rebel Pilots to go into it.

That said, I've finished the full textures of the ARC Pilot, tested a print and assembled the first of the two prints, doing my best to cram him into the shoehorn cockpit of the snowspeeder (no fault of Jules, the bloody thing was designed incorrectly (no big surprise with early SW model/set configs)) Overall I am very pleased with the results. A good shot of the pilot (in the snowspeeder) can be found here and I've attached a shot of the final print candidate render as well as as close-up of the helmet detail.

Attached Files:

15. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You're doing a great job Tirick. The detailed helmet rocks!
  16. Tirick

Tirick Member

I finished assembling the final print candidate of the ARC Pilot; here are some completed shots for your enjoyment.

I'll likely be starting a thread soon detailing my Paper Protagonist project (for those of you who are not on the 'other' site). I've now two pilots in the design stage, with many more figures to come.

For the curious, that is a Canada penny in the shot; it is nearly exactly 2 cm in diameter.

17. Millenniumfalsehood

These always look fine until you realize that's a 5cm tall person, then they're simply astounding! Great work! Any plans to release one with hair?
  18. Tirick

Tirick Member

Ugh. hair. I've tried about 4 times now, not with brilliant results, but yes, from the name of them: 'Paper Protagonist' the intent is to have a line of miniatures for use in wargaming/rpg battles. Hair is essential. I expect I'll go with a simple design at first, and I aim to have it ready for the Rebel Pilot release (follow that WIP thread here for now). Once I've a female model, I'm likely to really struggle with the hair format. Guys are easy in that regard.

5 cm? No... try 3.6 cm... :D
  19. hawkman67

hawkman67 Member

Well at least for the clone pilots and troopers they are very easy, a good number are bald, most others have flattops and ony a few have the different hair style, such as Capt. Rex with buzzed short blond, or Comm. Gree with cornrows.
  20. crates

crates New Member

Incredible models, your attention to detail is excellent. keep up the great work.