Paper Models from Photos with Photomodeler Lite

Discussion in 'Software' started by sruch, Sep 7, 2004.

1. sruch

sruch New Member

I stumbled on some great software that let's you produce a 3D model from a series of photographs of an object. You take photos of the subject from several different angles and mark points that are the same on each photo. From this information, the program calculates the 3d shape of the object. You can get an accurate, texture mapped model this way. The best part is that you can export it as a .3DS file for use in Pepakura and print out the parts.

I found it here:

PhotoModeler Lite free download:

Steve Ruch
  2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Good Thing you found this !!

As the manufacturer no longer supports the "lite" version!!
    El Fisho
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Anybody got it to work yet?

Nice site...,

Best regards, Gil
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

After d/l and install on my computer, when open is hang my system and i must use half hour to restore my system...

listen another voice now :D
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

I suffered the same results....,

Best regards, Gil
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Had a go with this, only got so far and must get some work done (cutting card) :lol:

Went to site and saved as target, closed eveything else down and loaded it in to my system. I could not get rid of the tutorial banner so I restarted my system.
    Once I had done this I got to the stage of loading in the photos and selecting points and saving to file.
    One thing I found on the photo loading, I don't store photos in files I use MS My Pictures (not that meany photos) if you don't create a file for the photos you want to use it will download all in that section to the programe.

I used Nobis Appache as the photos as I know how big it is and the fit is right. Saved the work so far and will try again later.

I must say though this has been done without reading any of the tutorial or instructions so Iam bound to make mistakes (must read the stuff later)!!!!!!!

7. IndiQa

IndiQa New Member

After reading the posts in this thread I went and downloaded the PMLite software.

As a quick test I took the 2 block demo which comes up when you first start up the software.

Without doing anything to the setup they have created I exported the model as a 3ds file and imported it into Max6.

Added the 3 maps and rendered.

Here are the renders of the model.

Seems stable here but how will it do with a more complicated model ???
    The price is right for sure :)

8. sruch

sruch New Member

It works for more complex things. You can check for some examples using the Pro version. The only problem is that you can only have a maximum of 250 marked points in the Lite version.

The Lite version requires that the photos all come from the same "camera" and be of the same resolution in order to get the best result.

I am doing a test on a building from Flight Simulator 2004. I went in and got screenshots from various angles and imported them. It is working very well so far.

9. sruch

sruch New Member

I have tried it on Windows 98 and 2000 Professional and it works on those...No support from the manufacturer so I don't know the requirements.