Paper Models at the 2009 IPMS/ USA

Discussion in 'North America' started by Rutek 63, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

Is there anybody planning on entering the 2009 IPMS convention with paper models? I'm going to be there to support one of my friends who is competing with plastic models. I don't wont to go there empty handed, so I'm taking one of my paper models. I hope I wont be alone there with paper.
    By the way, do you guis know any site with pictures of the winning models in plastic and paper from past years?

2. Texman

Texman Guest

The IPMS website has pictures from the nationals.

3. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

As someone has already pointed out, the websites (both USA and Canadian) have tons of photos. However, they are very cumbers om to go through. You have to open and close each one in turn. There is no slide show. I find this astonishing for such a well put together site that there should be no slide show function:v8:.

Having said that, the "walk-around" section is great for getting details on various real-life subjects.
  4. Rutek 63

Rutek 63 Member

The thing is, I'm looking for pictures of the winning models, not just any models. I know there are tons of pictures on the IPMS website, but can you point out which of them are "Best in Show"?
    In other words, I'm looking for labeled pictures; because how do you know otherwise?

5. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I attended the 2007 nationals and saw all of the winning paper models. The best of the paper model category went to David Okamura for his build of The R100 from the Currell Graphics web site. The other winners were commercial kits one was a model of a 737 that has been out of print for at least 10 years and all were first class models.

Photos of the paper models at the nationals are here
    A comprehensive report is here

I assume what you really want to know is what would be a good model to enter. I would suggest that you visit an IPMS club and ask them to show you how they judge a model. The judges at the nationals are plastic modelers and they have limited knowledge of what it takes to build a good paper model and they will be judging your model on plastic standards. Most of the basic standards should apply but paper models have other attributes that the judges should take into consideration when judging a paper model. I would like to see a judging standard set by the nationals just for paper models.
    What will cause you to lose points in the judging are things like not all of the wheels touching the ground, wheels not inline or vertical. Wing tips need to be the same height off the table, this one factor will get a model instantly drooped off the judges list. Glue smudges are a no-no. Finger prints on the finish or canopy are also major affiances. On AFV’s the tracks need to be in line and no kinks, bogies vertical and all of them touching the track links. Drooping guns will get points knocked off. If the hatches are open there better be something in side. Don’t drape flags or tarps across a model, the judges will think that you are tiring to hide a flaw. If your model is damaged in transit note that on your entry form they will take that into consideration in the judging.

Now if you are going to compete in the plastic categories you need to have a model that is better then the plastics. Seams get to be important and rough edges can loose you points and above all the finish has got to be flawless. Remember every one starts with the same bag of parts in plastic modeling so the assembly of the model is secondary to the finish of the model. Lastly a little strategy, an unusual model will do better then one of the many cliché models (Me109, Zero, Tiger, Panther, Bismarck ect) pick a category where there is not a lot of competition. If you drop your Tiger tank in a group of 30 other tigers don’t be surprised if it gets over looked.

Lastly take as many paper models as you can and show them what real modelers build.

Jim Nunn
  6. davelant

davelant Member

I'm definitely, sort of, maybe thinking about it, if I can get something done. It's driving distance for me, and I really enjoyed the 2005 Nats in Atlanta. Overwhelming display of modeling accomplishment.

There was no paper modeling category at the 2008 Nats in Virginia; I don't know how many paper entries there might have been.

2007 in Orange County, California had an explicit category for paper models. Pictures from that category are here:
  7. davelant

davelant Member

I should have been more clear. I just used google to find those pictures. In related galleries on the same site you can find winners from various years, and I'm sure there are many other sites that have model entries and winners. Just search "ipms" "nats" or "nationals", "pictures", etc.
  8. modelperry

modelperry Member

I had thought about attending with some paper models in tow, but don't believe I'll be able to afford it this year.

As far as winners for 2008, I don't believe there were any paper ones. All the winners were published (w/ pictures) in the IPMS journal the end of last year.

As far as contest judging goes, I'm warming up to the AMPS way of judging that pits a model against a set of criteria and not against another model. Points are awarded and those that get within certain point ranges receive bronze, silver and gold metals accordingly. This way there can be more than one of each metal type in each catagory.

9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

ModelPerry, I have more than warmed up to the AAMPS way of judging. I am a past IPMS/USA president and EBoard member and this pitting one person against another finally made me quit contest modeling...and I used to get some wins at the Nationals, too. I won't speak ill of the IPMS/USA way; after all it's their game and if you want to play it, you have to play by their rules.

The figure modelers use the same method of judging as the AAMPS folks and I think the whole concept is even more challenging because you know what the standards are and they are very high indeed. I competed with the figure modelers, too. The car guys are the same way. In the IPMS/USA system, if you have two models that suck, both competing for 1st place, then the one that sucks the least wins.

Don't think I am joking either. After 12 years as a local and regional judge, I saw substandard entries win because nothing was entered against the model in that particular category. We called that strategy for winning a little trophy, "Enterology." Find the least entered model category and stick something in it. I even recall seeing folks building a model at the contest to enter in an empty category. No lie: just pick one up from a vendor, slap it together, and stick it on the table.

Personally, my ego was not in need of a massage, so I never did that sort of thing.

In fairness, one of the things that drives me batty is the seam on our paper models. That seam on the underside of airplanes gives me the willies! I have been experimenting with some ideas on how to eliminate, or at least, disguise that seam. You should see something of my test efforts in the weeks to come as I build an up scaled version of Ken L West's F-84 Thunderjet.
  10. modelperry

modelperry Member

I absolutely agree. Another thing that bugs me is when one enters three entries into one category full of ten other entries and does not have a chance to "run the table" with 1st 2nd & 3rd even if his 2nd & 3rd entries are clearly better than what did receive these awards (Not that this would ever happen to me anyway:twisted:).

The AMPS system takes this "fairness" issue away.

Sorry if it seems like I hijacked this thread. Didn't mean to.:oops:

11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

The issue of sweeps has always been a sticking point in IPMS/USA, one that likely stems from the judging philosophy. The question revolves around whether we (in IPMS/USA) are judging the model or the modeler.

In the AAMPS style, it is clear that both are being evaluated, the model on the basis of whether or not it meets the standard and the modeler on his/her ability to build to or surpass a standard.

It's a no brainer to me. And, like you, Greg, I would have never thought of sweeping a category. Just building enough to enter one category would have been challenge enough!

My first experience with open judging was at a local IPMS/USA show in the early 80's. I thought that system far superior to the 1st through 3rd place system. Took less time, too, since we didn't waste time with the obligatory winners announcements.
  12. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Just thought of this, too. One of the factors that may perpetuate the system in IPMS/USA is knowing how many awards to plan for. In a place system, it's easy; count the number of categories, multiply by 3, and add 10% for splits. Simple, I've done it myself.

But, in a open judging situation, how many awards do you give out? Actually, the folks at Wonderfest have that figured out, too. It's an open judging forum with a cap. There are only so many awards. I like that system less.

In the end analysis, one has to ask the question, "why do we enter our models in contests?" I believe the answer can be answered at three levels. There is the one modeler who wants to show everyone that s/he has the best skills. There is another who wants to improve his/her skills by comparing his/her model to the standard. The final modeler wants to go home with an affirmation that his/her model "looked real good."

My experience with IPMS/USA tells me that the greatest majority of contest attendees fit into the latter category. So, my philosophy whenever I was running the contest was to give out as many awards as possible to as many modelers as possible. Send 'em home happy!

After all, only a minute fraction of our modeling community do this professionally; the rest of us just want to have fun.

That's why this and the PaperModeler forum are so great. We show our stuff, basic as it may be, and everyone oooh's and ahhh's over the result. You can tell that it works; look at how few of us participate in the on-line contests compared to those of us who just post photos of our work.