Paper Model designers didn't get credit

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Ron Caudillo, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Or maybe it could just be that the mods are busy....
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i just read the article. you guys comments are posted. i saw nothing offensive or derogatory about the article only the responses were negative. the bridge model picture very clearly shows that ron designed it. i really dont understand the offense.the article is about a guy who built paper trek models. i dont think the author is obligated to state who design and were he got every model that is in the pictures. i also dont see any copyright issues at all. i think yall are being overtly sensitive toward this.
  3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

as a side note that looks like my voyager model. i think its pretty cool to see it there. should i be upset because i wasnt mentioned? hardly!
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any new comments. All I see are the negative comments regarding Star Trek fans and card modeling. I think it behooves anyone who writes an article to get the facts straight and to credit the creators of said craft, as well as allow for rebutal. That's basic Journalism 101. Sorry mate, on this I disagree with you.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

the artical is not about the craft or the designers or even promoting the hobby. its a human interest story about a trkkie fan. at least Ron's name is plastered across the first image. i should be the one whos pissed off my name isnt shown next to my model in there. but im not because i have enough sense to know its not about me or even the model itself. Rons comments are posted . i think yall are just fanning the flames of ill content. the guy who built the models didnt even write the article.yet your dummping on him for not listing the designers name for every model pictured in the article. or should i say for not naming the designer you are freindly with i dont see any one giving a rats ass about giving me credit or any of the other models present except Rons. I think if the bridge model hadnt been in the articale at all this never even would have been mentioned. i think this is another self rightious crusade because a large part of the world doesnt share our zest for this hobby.
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Credit is due to everyone, you as well as Ron and anyone else that contributed a kit. Again, as I've said, "The issue is about the overall disregard for card modelers, as well as not giving credit." I think you should read my recent posts and not get in a huff. I'm not disregarding your work any more than anyone else's. Everyone who wishes to have their work credited should have that right credited. I happen to think that also extends to the studio and original designers. I don't credit my own work because I don't care, but I do respect others rights and requests and always credit those that work with me, or that have done work that I use for reference material. I don't credit everything on my artwork because it all seems so silly to me. I also said above that it really wasn't as much about the guy.:thumb: The guy was just a guy that didn't think to credit the modelers, it was the person that wrote the article that did a poor job and the comments about the trek fans and the card models themselves that was the bigger issue.

I'm not fanning the flames of anything, but I do understand what it's like to have your work trashed and disregarded and desribed in a fashion that's offensive to anyone who works hard on creating enjoyment for other as well as themselves. So, if you really want to get down to brass tacks, I identify with those that have had their work trashed and with people not getting due credit. Perjaps that has more to do with my expression than it does with my friendship with any particular modeler, or creator.:mrgreen:

ARMORMAN Guest

Actually, I criticized the thickheaded luddites that responded to this guy, gave links, and commended the builder. (That last part is probably why you don't see my response).
  8. logicman

logicman Greybeard

OK, I wasn't going to continue this, but:

Please see my post above, #19.

Please be clear that my annoyance is directed at the publisher and reporter.
    They can get away with crediting a work of art to another author if it's satire. - That's the law.

It could have been worse. They could have had this poor guy:
    " ... living on cornflakes so as to have enough cardboard for his models ..."
    which goes way beyond satire and which happened to a member of the zealot forums who prefers to remain anonymous. ;-)
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You see that's exactly the type of thing I was getting at. There are some really cool fans out there and there are some real cretins. Also see my response regarding journalism 101.:mrgreen:
  10. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I say we organize a mass protest in the streets to get the point across, c'mon Joe, you'd be up for that wouldn't you?

Then we can go home and swallow up the crap dished out by the evening news on a daily basis, sleep on it, then wake up to a newspaper with some more crap in it.

Journalists will always take the bits of fact that suit the story they want to write, leaving out sometimes important details that can mean a lot more to a select few who don't matter to the journo in the bigger scheme of things (aka Real Life)... THAT is journalism 101.
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

C'mon, I'm not advocating anything like a mass revolt. I'm just saying.... I would think that the mods would see the point, the reason that some here would be more than a little upset. This kind of thing doesn't happen here. The unfortunate thing about the internet is that it seems there are more and more people that are just looking for something to trash.

I wrote more than article for TrekCore and I've done more than one interview. I always did my best to get the facts, do my research and give forth and even presentation.

I'm not the only one that this irked. I see just as much, if not more talent here than I see on many of the other art / modeling forums and I think this craft deserves as much respect as any other art form, or modeling from.

The unfortunate truth is that many people that rip others apart, for what they do, become appolplectic when they are not given credit, or when anyone makes a statement that can be even remotely construed as critical of their work.

I really find it odd that so many seem to disregard this craft and the work that goes into creating these models. I see just as much research and talent going into some of these card models as I see on the 3D boards and the styrene boards.

I'm done with it. My feelings and concerns are abundantly clear and there's no reason for me to continue to beat this horse to death.

Keep on Trekkin!
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My comment and several others from here are now on the article. Some however are not.

ARMORMAN Guest

Sad truth of the matter is, I think the fault lies with the reporter and not the subject of the report. The way our comments are coming off on the list, it looks like we're attacking him and not poor reporting techniques. I hope poor Bob doesn't think we're a bunch of anal #$@^&*& and never pick up scissors and paper again......
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welllll I dont know about that. I really dont think its the place for ranting about legal stuff though... We gave them ample places to find the models and I think several of us gave him decent comments. And I am glad ours are at the top of the comments ;) Positive reinforcement usually works better than negative.
  15. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Sorry for any bad feelings

Hi all,
    I truly apologize if any feelings got hurt.

My intentions in starting this thread was to point out that the article could have been so much more. It was not intended to be a crusade or bashing of any particular person.

The skills of the builder are not the issue. We have all started into this hobby with minimal skills and have improved as we progress. Unfortunately, harsh criticism out only makes the new builder withdrawn and shy away from the hobby. I don't think anyone wants that.

Whether the article omission (as perceived by me) was by the builder or the paper is another matter and not one to be settled here. I think my comment in the article covered the matter well enough for readers and the paper to get my feelings. Freedom of the press goes both ways and that is why we leave or opinions as comments.

I am glad that the hobby gets press time, I just hope it can be presented in a better way in the future.

I truly appreciate the support and comments by all of the forum members. You guys are great!

Best Regards,
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I now blame the reporter's of the paper. The guy has now put an answer up and he has been very nice, seems like he's been s**t on because he like trek. Shame.

He now says that his son made the bridge, good, this hobby needs more of the young ones. They are the future of this hobby.

I hope he joins the forum, more trekkies/trekkers the better.
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm in 100% agreement with you, Ron and Armorman!:mrgreen:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.