Paper Model designers didn't get credit

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Ron Caudillo, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hi all,
    I was sent a e-mail this morning of a news article of a guy who has built may of the Star Trek oriented paper models.
    Star Trek set built from Rice Krispies |

In the article, the modeler says he builds the models from Rice Krispie boxes. Unfortunately because either he didn't say it, or because the writer omited it, there is no credit given to the designers who produce the models and that many of them are available for free download. The verbage in the article can lead one to think that the builder designed the models himself.

There is a photo of my Enterprise Bridge that was built and clearly shows the side that says I designed the model. If it weren't for that, no one reading the article would know that the builder didn't design it and he got it from somewhere else.

Unfortunately, this could have been a golden opportunity to introduce many readers to the wonderful hobby of card models. An opportunity missed.

Best Regards,
  2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

What a load of crap! I just made a rather lengthy comment, but I doubt it will get through the moderator filter. You're right to confront them Ron! Jerks like that deserve a slap in the face with the wet towel of reality. God I hate those arrogant jerks that talk crap about card modeling! People like that need to be taken down a rung or two. Probably another reason for all the love I get from the "Styrene and GK community." Some people can't handle the truth!
  3. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I don't usually put email addresses in plain sight, but these guys deserve to get emails from every single member of 'zealot'.

I have just sent them this email:

with reference to the "Rice Krispies" article:

Star Trek set built from Rice Krispies |

I have posted a disapproving comment.

I heartily endorse what designer and copyright holder Ron Caudillo has to say in that comments thread.

Anyone who downloads a *.pdf model and then actually builds it with skill is to be congratulated. However, credit MUST be given to the original designer, both as a matter of legal right and as a matter of moral right.

Would you please amend the web page to highlight the fact that other people have designed these models and that they are freely available on the web, subject to copyright law.

Further, it is common practice to reinforce paper/card models with
    whatever scrap material is to hand. This does not mean that they should
    be categorised in a derogatory style as "Rice Krispies - packet - models".

Surely you would not wish to associate the good name of Associated
    Newspapers Limited with inaccurate reportage and border-line copyright

Yours faithfully,

(I gave them my full name and address.)

Copyright notice:
    You may copy all or part of the above email and send to Associated Newspapers provided only that you give them your full name and address.

4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Right on Logic-Man! that's what they need to hear. Everyone should send similar correspondance!
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The comments in general on that site are derogatory towards 'hobbyists'...

I like this one the most.

6. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

true steve o articles like this do the hobby no good at all.:thumb:
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

People that don't create anything themselves have NO IDEA what it's like to work on something and them have some jerk take credit for your work, but you know that hatchet swings both ways. That's why I always give credit to anyone I work with. It's just the right thing to do. I don't put my name on things, because it just isn't that important to me. However, I totally understand a persons feeling in the matter. What's worse is when these people start acting like Ron's a jerk for saying anything and then degrade his work. That's just pure ignorance.
  8. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

And I just thought they were jealous of you!

Best Regards,

ARMORMAN Guest

Let's see if my comment gets through.....:)
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Who knows, who cares. LOL I just think it's wrong the way they responded from the beginning and the way they responded to you in particular. I've seen people like Ziz work on an AMT kit for years and have everyone oooo and ahhhh all over it, but when you give them viable options for an accurate TOS bridge, or other model, they poo poo it because it's made of cardstock. What pure and unadulterated hubris. If I recall correctly, I was a member at Hobby Talk, when Steve Iverson was mod at the time that you first proposed your TOS bridge....????

I've always respected art, talent, style, inventiveness etc...etc.... with no regards of who it was, or where it was. If I like it and it works I don't go asking permission from some other jamoke to post positive comments.

I've enjoyed your work from the first time I saw it and for these cretins to try and disparage what you and others do just really irks me.

Do you want me to quit beating around the bush and tell you how I really feel?sign1

edited for content. Elliott
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Oh, I'd love to see that. Obviously mine hasn't made it through the mod filter.wall1
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I notice that haven't been any responses over on the blog attached to the article, I noticed too that none of the replies have been updated.

Another funny thing I noticed was that my post was edited for content.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Can someone send me a copy of what I originally wrote? Guess I'm going to have to start saving every post again?sign1

Guess I must have offended some Trekkies. I'm a Trek fan, so I'm still surprised at how easily trekkies get offended. Been a fan for 39 years and I've never seen anything like it.

They can group together and trash a persons work and revile them and spread lies and rumors and nit pic something to death, but when you call them out on it they get offended.sign1

Oh well, I hope they got the message over Don't be dissen the Card Modelers and be sure to give credit.:thumb:

Post saved for posterity.:mrgreen:
  13. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Always goin' forwards, still can't find reverse!

My sisters call me Spock - I do languages and logic, me.

I can be such a pedant - hence:

Attached Files:

14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

you forgot ... dun dun DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN....
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I was thinking more of the "Ancient Battle Theme" from Amok Time. :D
  16. logicman

logicman Greybeard

most apt! sign1

Hi - jackin' - across the universe ...

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK folks. I just read over the article. Maybe he didnt plainly state that he downloaded the models. But he also did not actually claim credit for designing them. The guy is just trying to show his love for Trek. Maybe with some positive comments from people here that have designed them could point to where to download the models. Don't ya all think your maybe being just a bit hard on the guy? I know I built my first model with staples and standard copy paper printed on a black and white printer for crying out loud.
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I don't think it's the guy so much that irks everyone as the simple fact of not giving credit and the cretinous responses from some of the posters regards card models.
  19. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I doubt that the builder is anything more than an innocent victim of "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

here's the scenario:

Q: "Did you build these all by yourself?"

A: " ... download these from the designer's website at ... "

Q: "And they're just made of paper?"

A: "Well, I have to reinforce most of them with scrap cardboard."

(Shows Rice Krispies packet.)

Q: "Thanks, that's all I need for my story."

I know this scenario well. I've been there.

Nuff said.

[/end gripe]

[re-start hijack]
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

There's also the fact that, to date, none of our respones have been included, no sort of correction, or disclaimer. It's as though the whole card modeling craft is being shat upon and that Ron's work is no due the credit it deserves. Yet another example of a site filtering responses according to how it's membership reacts. Unlike this place it's not very fair, or balanced.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.