paper for color laser printer

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Jim Nunn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I must have done something good in my past life. I came in to work today and we have a new color laser copier/network printer. My question is what papers work best in a color laser printer/copier. The copier salesmen told me that the machine could handle 110 lb cover stock so my concern is color fidelity.

Jim Nunn
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Jim, do a fold test on some printed output. All the laser printed stuff I have tried looks nice but the image flakes off as soon as you crease the paper. If it is all flat sheets, cut edges etc it will work OK, but inkjet images are MUCH more robust than the heat-fixed plastic granules that are used in laser printers.

Let us know what happens! These things have a nasty (nice!) way of quietly improving, without anyone realising...

Tim P
  4. charliec

charliec Active Member

There are two kinds of colour laser printers. A "wax" printer which produces extremely good colour but the sheets won't stand bending. Also there's the type which is similar to a monochrome printer but with four colour toner cartridges - this print is much better at withstanding bending but it's still not as good as inkjet prints.

I've found that printing on an Oki and Xerox printers that plain paper doesn't give a good result but using colour laser paper (it's called "presentation" paper in Oz) works pretty well. You can get this paper in various weights (100, 135,170,200,250 gsm). It normally comes with a high gloss finish but there is a semi-gloss available. The downside is that the paper is expensive compared to plain paper.

5. rowiac

rowiac Member

I'm sure the right paper depends on the make of the printer, but here's my experience with the HP 4550 color laser printer we have at work:

110lb (200 g/m2) Wasau Exact Index paper (sold at Staples) works pretty well. The finish comes out semi-gloss. Make sure you set the printer driver for "card stock", otherwise the toner can flake off.

110lb (200 g/m2) Georgia-Pacific Indes paper (sold at Wal-Mart) is slightly brighter (white), but seems to crack more at the creases and delaminate more easily than the Wasau. Again, make sure to use the "card stock" driver setting.

The color fidelity is pretty much the same for both papers because the laser toner is opaque and sits on top of the paper rather than soaking in like the ink with an inkjet.

You can spray a clear coat of Krylon or similar to protect the paper if you want. The clear coat slightly dissolves the toner, which makes the lines slightly fuzzy, but seems to prevent the toner from cracking as readily on bends.

Overall the resolution on the laser is not a good as on my inkjet. You can definitely see the half-tone dots on lighter areas, but the printed surface is durable and allows you to scrape off misplaced glue fairly easily.

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Thanks for the reference sites, good information

I ran a copy of a model today using 67lb Hammermill Cover stock and Epson bright white (Iso 108) 24 lb paper these are the papers I normally use with my Inkjet. The output was nearly impossible to tell from the original Halinski model even in sun light and I detected no half toning. I did a quick bend test and had very little toner flake off, no more then what I experience with a typical commercially printed model.

The copier/printer is a Ricoh 1224C. Only issue I have with it is that it took me most of the afternoon to get the network to recognize the printer and then I could not address it with my Laptop. I’ll tackle that problem on Friday when I get back to that location.

So far I am happy with the printer.

Jim Nunn