Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by afleck, Nov 23, 2008.

1. afleck

afleck New Member

could some kind person please tell me the best density of paper/card to make the m41a pulse rifle with. assistance as always appreciated.
  2. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

well, I'm building mine a bit differently, but if I were to build it straight from the printer, I'd go for something pretty heavy, like about 180 GSM, or perhaps buy some foamcore to make reinforcments with. It's a large model, anything less than about 150 gsm is going to be a bit flimsy.
  3. afleck

afleck New Member

thanks mate, i will give that a try.
  4. zealousy

zealousy Member

I'm building it on 230 and I still need reinforcements to keep it in shape!
  5. afleck

afleck New Member

i found that with 200 card, when i cut it the layers seperated.
  6. afleck

afleck New Member

is there anywhere that would have a tutorial of where to reinforce or is it basically reinforce everything.
  7. cp1963

cp1963 New Member

I can't find anything in my area heavier than 110. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might get heavier card stock?
  8. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Reinforcement of M-41

Afleck-I would have to say in hindsight that the grip needs a little reinforcement. As for the rest of the model..... just figure that any flat plane over about 2 inches by 4 inches, should be reinforced heavily. Especially if you're going to handle it on a consistent basis. I did some reinforcement after certain sub-assemblies were built. I ended up using some cardboard that is about 3/4 of an inch thick in certain spots on the inside. If I were to build this one again, I would go the route that Mousemuffins has gone. Just look for his thread in the sci-fi/anime category here on the forum. If, like me, you don't have alot of cash for that type of build, I would double up, maybe even triple up, on the large flat areas. Just make sure to bevel your edges, so the corresponding part will fit properly! As a side note, some of those flat planes/areas are places that get glued together. So, a nice flat, strong area is VERY helpful in the final assembly. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to PM me.