Paper Aviation's Colonial Shuttle

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RodentMaster, Jul 12, 2009.

1. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

Finished! Well over 200 pieces, of which 2 are optional. I scaled mine down to 50% for some god-forsaken reason...

I had a reason at the time I printed it, I swear! I just couldn't recall WHAT it was when I went through my stack of printed models and chose to build this one!

I may have done it this way to scale better with the nuBSG shuttle I printed off as well. I think I was planning on putting them side by side.

I've only just figured out this gallery thing... Hope I did it right. Uploaded a handful of pictures. I guess I should show a sample of them here to get folks interested, then give a link to the Zealot gallery.

From tip to tip it's almost exactly 6 inches long.

Unless I screwed up and took the wrong URL, here's the link to the full gallery:

Let me know what you think! Also, can't thank Martin Sanger enough for this gem!
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Nice build RM....what sort of time frame for the build hours wise?
  3. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

Tough question, since I didn't really keep track. I had some problems with smaller parts (50% printing), but overall it took about a couple weeks of on-and-off effort.

I would ballpark the hours at probably 30 hours (rough estimate).
  4. theo

theo Member

It looks good RodentMaster.:thumb:

Mine is still about half way, I've printed it thee time's so I can give it some extra structure three layers.
    The panels is an extra layer and some other things and the windows are glued to the back.

I think it's time that I finish the shuttle, not enough free time and I was making a magic spell book for my youngest daughter.
  5. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

What paper did you print it on? I would really have liked to have more structural strength on the upper piece, because you have to put so many other little parts on it, and the lower left/right sides where the gear "domes" come out of the hull.

I wish I'd used a little stronger paper, or had some interior form, or something, because you can see the rear panels above the engines are a little warped. I also had some problems on the lower rear where the bottom meets the rear panel. Luckily this issue is totally hidden by the other parts you glue on top of it!
  6. theo

theo Member

I used 160 grams paper in a way you could say I used it double.
    The extra panels and so give it extra strength.
    I shall make some pictures wen I'll get home.

And I'm @home!
    So here they are.

By the way that image "donefrontright1" it's almost if you standing in front of her, it really does look mean :eek:.
  7. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

Camera angle! :)

Had to put it right at the edge of the table, lower my angle and tried to get a "perspective" look. I was inspired by the photonovel studio thread.