Paper and card weight

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Llewelyn, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Llewelyn

Llewelyn New Member

OK... anyone got pointers to a credible table relating imperial card/paper weight measures (which seem to vary depending on what paper it is) to a) eachother and b) gsm?

Personally, I like gsm, mainly 'cos it's universal and applies to any size of paper. Also, in Europe, the paper tends to be sold that way. I've currently got some A4 220gsm white card which will go through my printer, which is fine up to a point, and obviously the normal 80gsm plain paper.

All this is well and good, but doesn't help when a kit for printing says "print on 60-110lb paper" or somesuch.

and yes, I did google for it.
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

3. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Aaah yes, *this* topic! The main point of confusion (for me anyway) is that in the US there seems to be different types of paper, though I can't tell what the difference between them is! Fortunately, we get our paper from Japan or Korea, it's in A4 (sometimes Letter if you look really hard) and in gsm.

What is the difference between "Bond", "Offset", "Cover" etc.? Is it only the size (i.e. area). According to the website 16 Bond is the same as 40 Offset, yes? When they specify 110, do they maen Index, Tag or Cover. They all seem to have a 110 weight, all of which have a different gsm:cry:

Sorry to add to the thread with more questions, but this has mystifed me too for quite a while now.

Just noticed the top of the web pages say "Eliminate the confusion":rolleyes:
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Hey, it is all clear as mud, ain't it?:D
    I use 110 lb cardstock most of the time. The package also states that it is 199gsm. I looked on the chart and found 110 under the Index heading is equal to 199.41gsm. So that is kind of what I use to try to figure out equivalent weights. Adapt and adjust as needed. :)
  5. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Bond, cover, cardstock...all relate to the type of paper it is, not it's weight or size.

They are different in that they have different textures, and different qualities of "white level"...cover for example is very smooth, and is very, very white.
  6. Llewelyn

Llewelyn New Member

yeah, but the problem is that all those kinds of paper are different weights, for the same thickness. Ferexample, 58 146 80 134 120
    is the list of weights which are something close to 220gsm. I can only assume that the different types of paper have different standard sizes - since they're all the same thickness, I don't believe that one is close to 3 times as dense as another. Doesn't really solve the problem, unless people specify not only the weight but the type of paper/card to be used.
  7. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

The fogs lifts a little . . .

Taking tazman3's cue I looked up the different types. The "International Paper Knowledge Center" International Paper - Learn about Printing Terms defines the various types as:

"Bond Paper
    A relatively high-grade paper stock generally used for letters, business forms, and copying. Some types of bond paper may have a rag content ranging from 25 percent to 100 percent.

Offset Paper
    Paper that has been manufactured with properties that make the paper suitable for offset printing. Some of the properties include dimensional stability, resistance to curling, high surface strength a surface free from foreign particles and a high level of resistance to moisture penetration.

Cover Stock
    Also known as Card Stock - A stiff heavyweight paper used when durability is a concern. It is used on items such as postcards, covers, menus, posters, announcements, folders and business cards. Some cover stocks have matching text or bond paper available.

Tag Paper
    A strong, heavyweight paper stock that has a smooth, hard finish.

Index Paper
    A heavyweight stock, with a smooth finished used for products such as cards, brochures or any forms needing extra durability."

So Bond is expensive, Offset is useless for card modelling (resists curling), cover stock and tag are stiff (good for formers?), but Index is juuuuuust right!

The things you learn! :mrgreen:
    Check out the conversion tables on the website: International Paper | Commercial Printing & Imaging Papers | Conversion Factors Chart. Even more astounding, they have a calculation page, where you can do on-line conversions: International Paper | Commercial Printing & Imaging Papers | Calculations - Ream Weights and International Paper | Commercial Printing & Imaging Papers | Conversions.

Paper is not a simple as you think!:eek: However, I think I will stick to gms and looking at the texture of the paper, thank you very much!:p
  8. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Unless you are using it to laminate sheets together to build up formers...
  9. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Good point! Forgot about that! I stand corrected!:thumb:

Which reminds me. In German they talk about "Graupappe" for formers which, I guess translates to pasteboard. Therefore for completion:

A thin firm board made of sheets of paper pasted together or pressed paper pulp.