Papa Bear's Layout Party

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
OK, we have lumber on hand and some Diet Dr Pepper in the 'fridge so it's time to get started. This is going to be a 32" x 44" N-scale layout. This is the one that was discussed in the track planning forum and can be seen here.

I had started on the benchwork before the party began, but I decided to make some changes. So tonight, I had to disassemble what I built and reassemble it. Basically, the layout is a frame of 1 x 3's with some laid crossways to support a sheet of 1/4" plywood and 1" foamboard.

I got the frame reassembled and the plywood attached and then brought it inside so that Triscuit could give it a cat-scan.:D The cat-scan revealed one corner that needed to be repaired. Since it's getting dark and starting to rain, I'll do that tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 466

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Never thought you'd need a Cat-dozer to clear a Plywood Central site!
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Look forward to seeing how the layout comes along, nothing like the thrill of bare plywood, and all the ideas of grandeur that come with it. One question though, why are cats so interested in model railroading? Triscuit reminds me of my two cats...ardent model railroaders. They have NEVER not "volunteered" to help in ANY project on my railroad-whether it was welcome or not. Good luck on your layout. Stuart.

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Thanks Guys. :wave: Jack, Triscuit may be a small cat, but she's surprisingly effective at moving things around! Stuart, I don't really understand it either, especially at this stage when there isn't anything except bare plywood. I guess it's something else she hasn't jumped on yet. I have to agree with you, Catt. It must be a sign of approval. I guess it would be bad if she didn't want to jump on it.

Here is a shot of the underside of the layout to show how it all goes together. I had considered just using the foam and not putting in any plywood as I had on previous projects. However, since I was planning on making this a portable layout, I decided to go with more rugged construction.

Next project is the legs. For now, I have some folding tables that it can be set on, but I'll want to give it it's own legs. I have been toying with the
idea of putting it on a rolling cart. Matt Chibarro built one like this in the book Model Railroading in Small Spaces. The layout is a little too wide to fit through doorways, but it would make it more convenient to move around within the room for access, sweeping the floors, etc.

Attachments

• DSCF0024-1.JPG
    DSCF0024-1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 462

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Change of Direction or "Honey, I Shrunk the Layout!"

This probably never happens to any of you, but do you ever get started on one project and then suddenly have the inspiration to do something else? That's what happened with my project layout. Things were going along fine, but then after visiting Carl Arendt's website a few too many times, I suddenly had a craving for pizza...

aak.jpg

and it grew...
aal.jpg

and it grew!
aan.jpg

This isn't exactly what I had planned for the layout party, but it's fun to build. At 24" x 24", it's a layout you can take into the living room and set up on a coffee table to build.

BTW, I still have the benchwork I started earlier. It's just "shelved" for now.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Papa Bear said:
This probably never happens to any of you, but do you ever get started on one project and then suddenly have the inspiration to do something else? ....

That sums up my entire experience with model railroading, John! :rolleyes: :D
But hey, variety is the spice of life, they say!
Speaking of spice, I'm looking forward to some more of that "pizza"! :thumb:

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Thanks, everybody for your kind words!:wave: I have made some more progress on the layout. It still amazes me that there's so much you can do even on a layout as small as this.

aau.jpg

aav.jpg

On this last one, I tried out the macro feature on my new camera. Works great!
aaw.jpg

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Structures for the layout

The Bear Point Baptist Church - my attempt at a cardboard building. It is loosely patterned after one that is on the grounds of the Pioneer Museum of Alabama.

Attachments

• DSCF0223.JPG
    DSCF0223.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 191

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Its cummin along great. Cant wait to see whats next!!!:)

Sometimes I wish I had gone with N Scale instead of HO Scale cause you just can fit so much more in an area. sign1 sign1 But I went with HO Scale and im not changin it now